Top Replacement Cost?

Galaxie500XL

For those of you who have fairly recently replaced the top on your car...

Mine is developing holes in the sail panel, so it's about time to replace the original top.

Costs for the top/window are fairly easy to find out...but what did you pay for having the top installed, and did any of you have it done at a shop that is a reasonable driving distance from Knoxville, Tennessee?

Local shop here quoted me $1800.00 for the job.

I need mine down as well. So i started calling around here.

was told $2500 from one of the places I called. I think thats crazy. But there hasnt been too many places that will install one.

I'm getting my top and back glass from ebay for a few hundred bucks and an auto trim shop in my town is going to install it for $400. Highest estimate for top and back window installed in my area was $1,300 for parts and labor combined.

I was quoted $2k locally for a black canvas top on my 94.

Ended up installing it myself for a total of ~$800 with a top of the line canvas top with defroster rear window from topsonline.com

Picture002.jpg

IMG00159-20110627-1552.jpg

IMG00160-20110627-1553.jpg

IMG00162-20110627-1553.jpg

IMG00180-20110707-1443.jpg

IMG00186-20110708-1704.jpg

IMG00188-20110709-1406.jpg

IMG00646-20111124-1418.jpg

Edited by GOT2B GM

I was quoted $2k locally for a black canvas top on my 94.

Ended up installing it myself for a total of ~$800 with a top of the line canvas top with defroster rear window from topsonline.com

Picture002.jpg

IMG00159-20110627-1552.jpg

IMG00160-20110627-1553.jpg

IMG00162-20110627-1553.jpg

IMG00180-20110707-1443.jpg

IMG00186-20110708-1704.jpg

IMG00188-20110709-1406.jpg

IMG00646-20111124-1418.jpg

How much cheaper would it be in your area to have a vinyl top installed instead of canvas?

That looks really good!

If I had a covered area, I'd be tempted to do the work myself.

I'd get a waterproof car cover and do it myself before I paid $1,800. You can buy another Cutlass convertible with a top that doesn't leak for $1,800! :D

Good point...I paid $2500 for mine over 3 years ago..hadn't planned to pay that twice.

I'd also be tempted to put a canvas top on the car...but since it stays outside, that's probably not a great idea--though I love the look.

I'd get a waterproof car cover and do it myself before I paid $1,800. You can buy another Cutlass convertible with a top that doesn't leak for $1,800! :D

Buy one of these.

62654.jpg

Then you have somewhere dry to do your top replacement, as well as somewhere to store your Cutlass afterwards.....

Do not get a top from Electron Top Mfg. of NY. The first top my installer put on ripped like it was dry rotted. They would not give him any credit (yes he ate the top). The replacement top is/has shrunk so that you see extra material at top of back window. I showed this to installer...he said he had used them for over 20 years but not again.

Matt did you ever do a writeup on your top install? I would love to try and do one myself. Haven't forgotten ya on the white rear bucket swap, car is in storage for the winter with no time to touch it with work..

Awesome, I'm still quite interested in the seat swap. I'm even willing to drive halfway to meet up and do the swap.

I could do a write-up, but I have a copy of the gm CS vert top replacement video that I used when I did my top, that is much more in detail than my write up would be.

I'll have to rip a copy up to youtube.

That would be fantastic, thanks!

Awesome, I'm still quite interested in the seat swap. I'm even willing to drive halfway to meet up and do the swap.

I could do a write-up, but I have a copy of the gm CS vert top replacement video that I used when I did my top, that is much more in detail than my write up would be.

I'll have to rip a copy up to youtube.

I agree that would be great, as it looks like the video explained it to you pretty well. I have the service alert video on correcting leaks if you need to copy it, plus one on the 284 and a few other W body topics.

What size staples did you use for the rear sail window piece? The top on my '92 is in fairly good shape but the staples are pulling out. If I could restaple I could make the top last a while longer.

I would also be interested in copies of the DVD/R's as well.

Edited by Reride