The best exhaust set-up on the DOHC w-bodies

95LQ1VERT

I have been looking into getting a new set-up for my 95 Cutty. I have the dohc motor and convertible (if that matters) and was wondering what the different type of set-ups out there are?

Did a search on the forums and found a few but Im looking into something smooth, mildly loud, and clean. Rasp is gross, but its common for these, so as little rasp as possible would be a plus!

Any recommendations or suggestions would be sweet.

Not sure how far you want to go, but these cars can be made to sound really good. If you ask most DOHC owners what they like you'll probably find the maganflow mufflers are the favorite. I forget the exact model number for the mufflers.

Here is a video of my car.

Oh I was actually checking your videos out a few days ago and I do like the way yours sounds. My Youtube username is 89broncoeddiebauer, the guy that has a rattle in his exhaust system.. "We meet again" :lol:.

But, Im cheap... so I'm not fond of paying like 150$ for 1 muffler, but its a quality muffler so I can see why they're so expensive.

If you have heard a 1995 - 2001 maxima with the 3.0l thats what I like. Dont know how to acheive it but I'm determined to find out.

Here's a few of my setup on my 91 GTP. It's a little on the loud and raspy side....but that's just my personal prefrence. Just to give you an idea. Dynomax super turbos....everything else exhaust wise is stock. Would probably be a tad quieter on a 95 due to you having a resonator. 93 and earlier didn't come with resonators iirc.

[video=youtube;YFtZnmll57Q]

[video=youtube;Esdyp4HxTek]

Thanks, this is a great site to find info on my new car! I appreciate the help and advice everyone has gave.

I will have to check those ebay magnaflows out also!

But, with the no catylitic converter or resonator on the stock mufflers how did you like the sound? Was deep and "musclely" (if thats a word) at idle, and how was it screaming at 6000 rpm?

Edited by 95LQ1VERT

With no res or cat on my car with the stock muffler. It didn't sound all that great. Was kinda raspy. It did sound pretty good at idle. Now with my maganflows on there I really like the sound.

Before you remove a Cat if you have any kind of emission testing you will need a catalytic converter to pass the test.

I think it would be smarter for me if I were to remove the cat and resonator first (No emiss laws in NE) because again the thing rattles, and if I happen to like the sound I might keep it like that, if not I could always go back and get the mufflers done. I dont know 100% what I'am doing yet..:thumbsup:

That sounds like a good plan. Removing the cat and res is pretty straight forward. Cut out, put in new pipe. Not sure if you are good with a welder or whatnot. Most shops do that work and kinda cheaply.

If the cat does have a rattle and you have zero emission laws might as well remove it.

Exactly lol! But unfortunately I dont have a welder, but I have a shop that my brother, me, and my buddy's go to. He's cheap for the quality work he does.

Before you remove a Cat if you have any kind of emission testing you will need a catalytic converter to pass the test.

And since it's against FEDERAL law to remove a non-defective cat, you'll be in violation even if your local government doesn't do emissions testing.

It's not like you're going to gain any noticeable power unless the cat is plugged (defective). Since these cats are monolithic instead of pellet-type, having a non-defective cat won't hurt the performance of the vehicle.

The old GM pellet-type cats were restrictive, so now people think ALL cats are restrictive.

I have magnaflows on my z34, overall I like them... maybe a touch too much drone on the highway for me. I only put a few thousand on the car a year though so its never really gotten on my nerves though.

Yes removing the cat is against federal law. But it does have its issues (I believe the media inside is broken or loose so it rattles and probably not doing its intended job) and all my vehicles I have owned I removed the cat on or bought it without a cat already. It also makes the vehicle sound that much better! :biggrin:

But this exhaust stuff is on hold till I figure the rest of this cars problems out...

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I got the bugs worked out on my car so far... I could do 1 of 2 things,

1.) get new Goodyear Eagle #1 Nascar tires for my CS or..

2.) I could do an exhaust, tires are necessary sooner or later, exhaust is not, but I would like have a nice sounding car AND to know which one to do.

The tires originally retail for around $190.00 a tire but Firestone has a new set that they would sell for $90 per tire.

Let me know!

my computer at work doesnt have speakers.... But lets just say, the factory mufflers have soo much rasp that it sounds like the motor has a massive exhaust leak. Although i do like the note at idle.

You are running no Cat and no res with stock mufflers, Correct?

I am not surprised that its really raspy. I bet it sounds great at idle!

I bet with some mufflers on it the car will sound much better. Do your stock mufflers have any rust holes in them?

Yes that is the set-up I'm running, and my favorite part is the idle :thumbsup:. I'm thinking either a thrush turbo style muffler or maybe a 2 chamber flowmaster knockoff later on OR maybe a single magnaflow muffler where the resonator used to be and then replace the stock mufflers with a staright pipe??