GP Convertible?

GP1138

I figure this isn't completely unheard of, but I've not heard that much on this board at all. I saw two seperate Grand Prixs that were convertibles. They looked stock, too. Was this an option on the 1st gens?

One picture floating around out there is a Photoshop.. it is of a red '94-'96 GP. There is also an actual convertible GP.. early '90's, built by ASC. The only convertible to my knowledge. No production W GP was ever made a convertible.

actually there is a convert GP in the dayton area. It is actually a cutty and the trim has been replaced to be a GP.

I have seriously considered doing that with a cutty 'vert but I didn't know how difficult it would be.....

I found this pic, not a cutty(no bar), but a prototype GP

89gpconv.jpg

I figure this isn't completely unheard of, but I've not heard that much on this board at all. I saw two seperate Grand Prixs that were convertibles. They looked stock, too. Was this an option on the 1st gens?

Were they actually convertibles? Or just GPs with those old person fake cloth/leather tops that look like they belong on a caddy. :roll:

To my knowledge, the GP pictured above is the only stock convertible w-body Grand Prix ever made.

I think a conversion was offered by ASC at one time, but the cost was around 8gs :shock: :shock:

actually there is a convert GP in the dayton area. It is actually a cutty and the trim has been replaced to be a GP.

I have seriously considered doing that with a cutty 'vert but I didn't know how difficult it would be.....

89gpconv.jpg

From this pic angle, that car is freaking cool

89gpconv.jpg

Thats the ASG one I was talking about. I'll see if I can find that photoshopped one somewhere.

Edit: Shawn had it on his website here

grandprix-convertible.jpg

In the words of strong bad "Thats freaking awsome"

maybe that's one of those things they didn't want to do because it would show up the firebird :twisted:

marcus

ps: ::drools::

Yeah but I wonder how it would look with the top up... I love the Cutty Converts with the top down, but I don't like them with the top up.. I have a feeling the GP would be the same way for me.

the GP doesnt look good with the rollbar, i think the asc prototype looks way better

I agree...the Cuttys look bad as a mutha with the top down(roll bar), but the grand prixs don't fit that look as good!

89gpconv.jpg

Thats the ASG one I was talking about. I'll see if I can find that photoshopped one somewhere.

Edit: Shawn had it on his website here

grandprix-convertible.jpg

there is a dude down the road that has a con. gp just like that, red and black top.

For those of you that say you see these convertible GPs all the time...TAKE PICS! Without pics...I find it very hard to believe that they're NOT the fake tops that I (and supreme_style) have mentioned.

God this board makes my mind wander.

Could you take a convertable cutty, strip it down (including the interior), and just replace them with GP/Lumina/Regal body, interior, and trim?

You would probably have to do some fab work on the trunk deck and rear fenders. But I would imagine you could just slap the donor door skins on a bare cutty door.

Am I making this sound more simple than it is?

Could you take a convertable cutty, strip it down (including the interior), and just replace them with GP/Lumina/Regal body, interior, and trim?

Yes, that base bolt pattern for the fenders, body, everything are pre-drilled.

Interchangability will let you do such a labor intensive swap.

- Erik

God this board makes my mind wander.

You would probably have to do some fab work on the trunk deck and rear fenders. But I would imagine you could just slap the donor door skins on a bare cutty door.

Am I making this sound more simple than it is?

Yeah I had found a forum a long time ago in which a guy was doing just that with a GP. Wish I woulda bookmarked it.. I'd like to see the outcome.