Replacing CV joints on 94 Cutlass Supreme

vdaily89

I think they are about shot on my wife's car. How bad of a job is it to do? Do I really have to take the driveaxles off to do it?

Any hints/tips/ walkthrough would be great.

Thanks,

Vince

Guest TurboSedan

i wouldn't even mess with the joints themselves - just buy new axles and use your old ones as cores. they should be around $80/each or so. they aren't really that bad to R&R, but to remove them you'll need a slide hammer or a BIG flatblade scredriver and a hammer. i bought a slide hammer from Harbor Freight Tools and it does the job...kind of a PITA to use tho. get ready to catch the tranny fluid that comes out. you'll also need to undo the outer sway bar bolts and swing the bar down a little, then undo the lower ball joint bolts and use a pickle fork and a BFH (Big f'in hammer) to pop those out. next unbolt the big axle nuts by either putting a screwdriver thru one of the rotor cooling vanes (to keep the axle from rotating) or have a friend step on the brake pedal. then just step down gently on the lower control arm and swing the strut knuckle out of the way while you pull the outer end of the axle thru the wheel bearing/hub assembly. be careful of the brake hoses. i know it sounds kinda hard at first, but after you've done it several times it's A. B. C. Done. hth

joshua