Road rash on 91 B4U package

Johnnystats

Hey everyone -

It seems that the lower part of the B4U package in front of the rear wheel is subject to a lot of little chips from debris. Any tricks in getting them removed - or would that part need to be repainted? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Pictures would help, and it depends on how bad the chips/scratches are. If the clear is gone or the base coat has been blasted off a repaint is what you'll need to do. For protection from stone chips and being sandblasted by road debris I have an X-Pel Clear bra on my 06 GTO. I have it on the fender lips including the front of the side skirts just behind the front wheels and up under the rear quarters behind the rear wheels. Check out these two threads I did for what's possible:

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/74094-Nasty-Scratches-GONE!

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/detailers-write-ups/18296.htm

The bumper I purchased from the junkyard for my Cutlass had a lot of wear on it behind the rear tires. From beig driven on a dirt road for years. The paint wore away and it chipped up the urathane bumper. After I filled it a and painted over it. It now looks like new.

Post up some pictures so we can get an idea of how bad it really is.

Thanks - I tried to get pics today but they didnt come out too well - however I did look at your pics and it is similar to yours - but not as bad. You only can really see it in the direct sun light

i think this is a problem on the majority of b4u cars, including mine. i need a repaint anyway, but i was hoping wet sanding would bring some of the color back out

If it's just sand blasted clear that has left a hazy appearance, then yes, wet sanding can bring it back. But if the clear has been blasted very thin or off then it's best not to hit it with sand paper as you'll be to the base coat or primer quickly. If you don't know what you're doing I really advise caution as there isn't a whole lot of clear if it's still the original paint.

What I do on the leading edges of my daughters cars lower flares is to keep them clean and simply wipe a synthetic aerosole sealant on them every couple of washes. This brightnes them up nicely and protects somewhat.