Sub boxes anyone?

xtremerevolution

I showed this tread to my Son over the weekend. He said, "Dad, I know all that!" I'm building my own boom box, and the one I have in there slams da bass. We jus had to jump the connects from 8 ohm to 4 ohm. I'm not sure what he meant, but I'm proud of him! Thanks for the post anyhow!

I showed this tread to my Son over the weekend. He said, "Dad, I know all that!" I'm building my own boom box, and the one I have in there slams da bass. We jus had to jump the connects from 8 ohm to 4 ohm. I'm not sure what he meant, but I'm proud of him! Thanks for the post anyhow!

Not to undermine him, but the concepts and software I use for subwoofer box design are more advanced than what the vast majority of professional shops out there have even seen, let alone use.

Have him check this out and see what he thinks, just for fun:

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/53317-Why-sub-boxes-are-important

Building a solid box that is 100% leak-free, well braced, and precision cut is hard enough (and expensive, those tools aren't cheap). I spent half a year over on DIYMA.com and never once met a single person or shop owner who knew how to design sub boxes like this. I designed over 300 sub boxes for people on that site, lol.

A double thick baffle is not optional, but necessary, and internal bracing is absolutely required for any resemblance of sound quality. Both of these require precision routing, meaning a good router, a circle jig, and a carbide router bit. There's a big difference between a box that creates a lot of noise and distortion and can be heard from a block away, and a box that faithfully reproduces the bass frequencies exactly as they were recorded, ready to pound with that same authority when called upon. Rarely can one use the subwoofer manufacturer's recommended box spec to get a good sounding box. Those specs are full of big compromises.

If he thinks he can build the box, more power to him. I'll gladly design one for him free of charge if he wants to make it more than just loud.

Yeah. As much as I want to sell you a box, I simply don't see a benefit for her. These are high end boxes for those who want a box built like a tank that will last them beyond the price of the car, and who want ultimate sound quality or SPL. If all she wants is a bit more bass, you don't need one of my boxes to do that, lol.

Well, you may not be able to sell me a box for her truck, but you're damn sure going to sell me one when I find a car worth putting one of your masterpieces in. Hell it might even be the corolla I'm picking up next week from a fellow member!

Have you designed a sub enclosure for any 1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertibles yet? I'll have my Son check out the link the next time he comes over to visit here. I know what you mean about the design of a Purpose Specific Engineered unit compared to a POS. Have you ever heard of Bob Carver who started out with Phase Linear?

Have you designed a sub enclosure for any 1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertibles yet? I'll have my Son check out the link the next time he comes over to visit here. I know what you mean about the design of a Purpose Specific Engineered unit compared to a POS. Have you ever heard of Bob Carver who started out with Phase Linear?

I've designed a sub enclosure for a few convertibles. The general concept is the same, but they are VERY different from boxes designed for hardtops. The reason is that you completely lose your cabin pressurization gain, and all you have to work with is boundary loading.

I have indeed heard of Bob Carver. Most of my heavy work is done in home theater, where I design home theater speakers from the ground up, including measuring my own drivers with gated impulse measurements through a measurement microphone, simulating those frequency response readings in crossover design software, and designing the crossover from scratch with respect to frequency response and phase alignment. I just build sub boxes on the side because it's fun, helps pay for school loans, and gives me something to take my wife out to dinner with.

Those look very high quality!

Thanks!

I got some pictures that a guy took with a box I built him and an amp I recommended, for an Alpine 8" Type-R sub. This is a killer combo!

382471_607337294574_54302134_31663285_1735886312_n.jpg

546203_607337319524_54302134_31663286_90128544_n.jpg

579612_607337334494_54302134_31663287_402201979_n.jpg