• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skitchin

• AWeb80

• RobertISaar

• rich17

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'll be getting a transmission cooler, though now I at least know I need it.

Rockauto has way too many to pick from, can anyone help make a suggestion? Guess I need to measure under there, but thinking about going with:

FOUR SEASONS Part # 53006 MoreInfo2.png Core 5 1/2", Depth 3/4", Height 7 1/2", Width 11"; Universal; May Require Modification

us.gif ca.gif Premium Plate and Fin Cooler Medium Duty; Size - 11 x 7 1/2

make sure you turn the cooler sideways and mount it like I did on my GP. I'm going to be fixing that soon on my GP. Maybe we could do this in Toledo for ya...LOL

make sure you turn the cooler sideways and mount it like I did on my GP. I'm going to be fixing that soon on my GP. Maybe we could do this in Toledo for ya...LOL

Haha, sounds like you've already got some work planned for your car up there in Toledo from what I saw - top swap IIRC? So what's the correct orientation for the cooler to be mounted? 180* angle from your configuration?

if you mount it where I have it mounted NOW, rotate the in/out ports towards the passenger side. It will keep the air bubbles out....I neglected to think about that when I did it.

Nah I dont think so. I know too cold isnt good for her. But it stays around 150 just cruising. I will update when I take the car to gingerman on memorial day. A full road course will make her happy....

Hrm, guess I forgot to update this thread. Transmission cooler installed, also decided on a new radiator because the old one had been patched and wasn't cooling worth a shit.

7178917266_8482a318bb_b.jpg

Did some logging last weekend. Ambient temperature was 70*F on both tests. With highway driving I was seeing about 150*F steady. Next night I did back roads and a few 0-60 test, was chilling at about 160*F till I went WOT a few times, which put me up to 174*F briefly. Warmup time wasn't too bad, though I'm wondering if I'll need a thermal bypass when winter comes. Something I did notice is that even though I let my car warmup before driving, the transmission temp essentially didn't move until I started actually driving. Also worth mentioning is that my coolant temp only ever went over 200*F(203 at that) for literally a few seconds after giving it WOT.

Seems like your new radiator is working well at least. When cold temps come, just throw some cardboard in front of your radiator. It's a simple seasonal fix.

a guess from your description, mostly the "trans temp didn't move until i did" part.

the MC with just the factory radiator based cooler SLOWLY warms the trans fluid while sitting still in park, doesn't gain much temp until moving.

but if you're running it in series, i wouldn't be too concerned about winter temps, they should be fine. 174 after a few WOT blasts is definitely keeping you out of the hot range.

That looks clean skitchin... :thumbsup: I am getting ready to add one of them myself for peace of mind. Actually I want to tackle a couple of cooling related things while I am at it.

Looks good. I would recomend switching out the old style worm clamps for some fuel injection clamps. They put out more clamping pressure and they do not dig into the rubber.

I'll snap some more pics when I get home Adam - it's in one of them weird spots though that's hard to get much of a distance shot. Camera is either in the fins or you can't see the cooler, lol.

Cooler hangs freely at the top - it's firm how it is though, the 4 screws in the bottom stabilize it pretty well.

Sorry for the funky angles

7223564690_75b024f6fa_b.jpg

7224101280_7b2e6afdb2_b.jpg

7224100972_56b46a34a3_b.jpg