Transmission Cooler

skitchin

If it were me I would go to the treasureyard and look through the truck section. You can find most for trucks with a small oil cooler and probally pick it up cheap. And it'll have sme sort of mounting bracket on them

Don't forget to add in the cost of flushing the cooler.

If the transmission those coolers are attached to is blown-up or worn-out, the coolers will be full of wear particles.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skitchin

• AWeb80

• RobertISaar

• rich17

I've had a trans cooler from a Chevy Caprice police car on my junkyard trans, in my Cutlass for about a year now and the trans never shows any signs of being too hot, and the fluid is still a nice pretty red color. I see no problem with it. I just did NOT trust my stock trans cooling system after my old trans assploded, god knows what kinds of chunks are floating around in the lines and cooler assembly. :showoff:

I put a cooler on the GP and the Aurora. I'll see if I have pics of it mounted on the GP....

I do know that at idle on a 95* bright sunny day, my trans cooler will be around 175*. I use my dads infrared thermometer. I'd say at idle w/ no airflow, 175* is pretty good. I do know that it takes a bit for the trans to warm up and get into OD. So if you drive on the Hwy right away every morning, it will take 5 mins or so to shift in to OD.

*** At first I had it mounted using the zip-tie things that go through the radiator and condensor. PLEASE don't do it this way, it really fucks up the fins*****

I remounted it as shown below:

found the pics

I mounted mine on the drivers side. I used 1/8" alum strips and cut them to fit...nothing fancy....and hold the cooler. I found short bolts in my scrap can and use nylock nuts to mount it. I hasn't moved in the ~8k miles since. On the bottom mounts, There are little notches in the bottom of the rad support where the bolts slip right in to.

On the top mounts I used one of the bolts for the engine mount and used another already existing hole and just tapped it for a bolt to thread in.

Then spray painted everything black to hide it a bit.

IMG_3921.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

Awesome pics Adam - really do like your mounting method way more than those stupid zip ties. This just looks so much cleaner and sturdy. Definitely think I'll try to replicate what you've done here. Thanks!

Just some nonsense data I just got from my bonneville when I was just out scanning it. I have a Aux trans cooler from a earlier SSEi installed on my car and I was seeing ECT: 85*c Trans temp 51*c Stock 195*f thermostat. stock fan times.

No problem. It takes a little work. It's very sturdy and even when I push on it, it doesn't come close to the radiator. Going off memory....there is about an inch between it and the radiator.

Almost seems a little low, guessing it's a bit nippy there this morning as well, huh? Was this after a drive or just warming up idling?

it was *4c when I got those numbers. It was mostly warmed up probably not all the way though. And only took it on maybe a 5-7 mile drive to get those numbers. I should mention I have a tiny hole drilled in the tstat to help with bleeding, and the radiator is from a early SSEi and is twice as thick as stock

In summer, my '95 LQ1 Cutlass averages 205-215 trans fluid temps...this is AFTER I added the factory LQ1 transmission cooler that was put on earlier LQ1 cars...

The holes aready exist for the factory cooler absent from later cars, with the exception of one hole in the bottom radiator support. Careful bending of the cooler mounting brackets allow just enough clearance away from the radiator support bracing in the front...earlier cars had the bracing bolted, but later cars have a welded brace, and no flattenened bars to clear the cooler.

We won't get into what fun it was installing a factory trans cooler inside the airbox surrounding the radiator, in a car that has no grill...

Edited by Galaxie500XL

My 04 GPGT ran around 200* every day.

My Lumina I have yet to scan but with my super beefy cooler is "feels" alot better.

Adam Did you paint the cooler? And also the cooler ports shouldnt be pointing down. either up or side to side. Air will get trapped at the top

ALDL cable on the way. Fingers crossed it shows up early! Need to look at my two driving scenarios: Morning/Evening time stop-and-go traffic, and Highway driving. Starting to warm up around here, hoping I don't - but I won't be surprised if I see some dangerous temps in traffic.

i'll need to send you my ADX for the 93-95 3100/3.4RWD stuff... that will be the only tunerpro related file you'll need for logging.

Yeah I'm a bit confused about what all the different file formats are for. ADS, ADX, XDF, and I can at least guess BIN is the firmware. I'll probably shoot you some questions after I get the thing - if you get a chance to send that file:thumbsup:. In case you need to know, I have an L82.

Have my ALDL setup going thanks to Rob! Logged some data this morning - was fairly cool @ 68*F and slightly rainy. Temperatures on the other hand must be addressed all the way around, peak temps below:

225 - Coolant

200 - Transmission

130 - MAT

Coolant - Motor running hot due to Mix of warm air intake + Catalytic converter is clogged/shot? Need to reprogram fan kick on temp as well.

Transmission - Get heavy duty cooler

MAT - Should go down if I can get the rest cooled off, but I still need to relocate my intake to get away from the heat.

I'm aware these temps are damaging, time to fix it. Let me know if you have any thoughts as to how.

pick your poison... the mileage estimates seem a bit..... pessimistic to me, but it does get a point across. and from the looks of it, at least one chart shows that they're referencing trans fluid life, not trans life, which seems MUCH more believable.

52653d1206552241-transmission-temperature-vs-life-expectancy-amsoil_generified_atx_heat_chart.gif

154_1203_04+temper_tantrum+transmission_life_expectancy_chart.jpg

heatchart.jpg

transchart.gif

transmission-info-cropped.jpg

pick your poison... the mileage estimates seem a bit..... pessimistic to me, but it does get a point across. and from the looks of it, at least one chart shows that they're referencing trans fluid life, not trans life, which seems MUCH more believable.

Those figures have been around since at least the late-1970's, because that's when I first saw them.

They are indeed VERY pessimistic, in particular for vehicles with a lockup torque converter and an overdrive gear. I don't think they were particularly accurate for a Powerglide behind a 283 using Dexron or Dexron II--but they're CRAZY for a modern transmission with Dex III (equivalent) or Dex VI.

200 degree trans fluid temp is NOTHING TO BE ALARMED AT. Completely normal, well within normal parameters.

I just worry, because it's only May and already over 90 here. Summers are typically over 100(and humid), so thinking this will be a hot one. Wondering at this point if my radiator is plugged or dirty. Btw, had 210 by the time I made it home, same temp as coolant.

210 isn't all that bad. I'd say with those temps, go with a 30k mile fluid change.

I see 175* just at idle in 95* heat...but I also have a vented hood and a fan switch to turn my passenger fan on.....I guess I run that one because that is the side of the radiator the factory cooler is on. Wire up a manual fan switch, then rescan and tell us what numbers you get.

BTW: Saar, do you have anything that can scan/read/whatever/etc. OBD 1.5? If so, can you please bring it to Toledo. <3

what can it do? read only? or program too? I haven't had a chance to really keep up on if anyone has cracked 1.5 yet

read/program/datalog/etc.... it's all functional. skitchin has a good idea of what can be played with, even if i didn't send him a completed XDF.

Trans temps are fun, i have seen 250-270 in sprinted driving in my 99, And 347 on my 5th back to back pass. same night the trans went bye bye :lol: