Exterior trim painting

ricklovin93

I`ve got about 6 or 7 coats of clear on mine

i think you win the redundancy award. :lol:

i don't think i've ever done 4 coats of any one layer at a time, let alone 6 or 7.

6 or 7 is a lot of clear! Rich_e777 the first major thing I painted was a bumper and it turned out pretty good. I should of started small. Now I'm messing around with small bits of trim and such. Before I paint something bigger.

clear on my hardtop is shot, so i had thought about attempting that but my bumpers are in need of some work. Especially the front one after i tried cutting some additional intake holes in it, not ready to show that f-up off just yet:lol:

well i used the clear out of a can, and i dont know what happened but it started peeling off and cracking and now they look like shit haha

That's usually what happens if you wait too long to spray on the clear, or if you don't wait long enough. How long did you wait before you sprayed on the clear?

Most spray cans will say something about spraying every coat within 4-hours of the last, and if you miss that window, then you have to wait 1 or 2-weeks for it to cure first before you can spray on another coat. It's that in-between stage when the paint is no longer wet, but not fully cured, that another coat will make it wrinkle up and crack.

Also, you should be able to use lacquer thinner and clean the paint off if you want to start over.