Exterior trim painting

ricklovin93

So i got sick of the faded colors so i decided to freshen up some of the trim pieces

Before:

post-7149-14368909328_thumb.jpg

Tools:

post-7149-143689093295_thumb.jpg

self etching primer, gloss black paint, and plastic prytool (for removal), also used 400 grit sand paper and paint thinner to clean painting surface off (not shown)

Removal:

post-7149-143689093303_thumb.jpg

Just push the little tabs open to remove the trim pieces, BE careful during removal or you might end up doing this:

post-7149-143689093309_thumb.jpg

After primer:

post-7149-143689093315_thumb.jpg

after painting:

post-7149-143689093323_thumb.jpg

will upload pictures of them installed and with clear coat on them in the morning

post-7149-143689093289_thumb.jpg

Nice! After you put the clear on it will look dull. I'd wet sand it with 1500, or even 2000 grit then put rubbing compound on it. Trust me that will make it look really nice.

After that you might be tempted to put wax on it, but I'd wait a while before you do that.

wet sand it after the clear coat is on?

Yeah, if you wet sand the color coat you will have small little scratches in the paint. Then when you put the clear on you will be able to see them. When the clear is on you can blend it. Making it nice and smooth. That will remove any orange peel you have.

When you wet sand put dishsoap in your water. Will help the wet sanding be less abrasive.

Then use a good rubbing compound. I use Meguiars ultimate rubbing compound. I love that stuff removes very small scratches.

I cleaned this up washed with dish soap to remove and wax. Gave it a light wet sand (2500) to help the clear to adhere better.

9a14522d.jpg

After it dried I wet sanded again and then rubbing compound and then a good wax.

412a770b.jpg

Looks like new.

this project has turned into a epic fail........ unfortunately the clear coat did not spray on right, for anyone that does this job skip the clear coat, just do a few layers of gloss black, ill have to swarm the junkyard and find new pieces because mine are trashed oh well

IMO: if you're going to paint something, and you don't clear it(single stage obviously doesn't apply, but i hate that stuff), you don't care about the finish too much anyways.

IMO: if you're going to paint something, and you don't clear it(single stage obviously doesn't apply, but i hate that stuff), you don't care about the finish too much anyways.

THIS

Getting a perfect gloss finish you need a clear coat. Plus it protects your paint.

well i used the clear out of a can, and i dont know what happened but it started peeling off and cracking and now they look like shit haha

i agree about the single stage paint, the people who had my camaro before me had it repainted with a single stage paint, and it chips and scratches way too easy with out a clear coat.

well i used the clear out of a can, and i dont know what happened but it started peeling off and cracking and now they look like shit haha

Did you clean the surface before you put the clear on? Like with mineral spirits?

yea i think i the coats i ut on where way too heavy though because you can see where it was running, what can i use to fill chips in the plastic with will fiberglass bondo work?

When doing the clear. Do a light coat, don't cover the whole thing, second coat cover a little more, but got a little heavier than the first. Third coat put it on so it's the heaviest coat. Make sure you let it dry in between.

To fill in plastic if it's in a small area I would not use fiber glass. The fibers in there are hard to work down in a small area. You'd be better off using like a finishing glaze if it's just a small chip.

heres the plan im just gonna paint the ones i have black no clear, ill go to the junkyard this week and find new ones, then ill try the whole clear coat thing again

second time will be the charm haha, guess you gotta mess up a couple times to get it right, will update when it is finally finished.....hopefully

Looks good, i just did the same thing with the color of my CS to the same parts. I`ve got about 6 or 7 coats of clear on mine and its been out in direct sunlight, a few t-storms and one flew of going down the interstate and they still look good. Those clips are about impossible to reuse so i took all mine of and used the same caulk you would put around home windows. Cheap and it works beautifullly and you can still cut thru it to remove the trim if you had to repaint it. I let my paint set up a full night and then scuffed it up a little with some 1000 grit, not much but enough to give the clear something to bite on, your first two coats should be light enough they should flash dry but the thried is going to take longer. I wouldnt try to put lighter and heavier coats on just use the same amount each time but keep in mind that after the 2nd or 3rd its going to take longer to dry.

P.S. i am a complete amatuer at this and have figured out how to screw it up pretty good but one thing about it is as longer as you havent broken the trim you can always take 600 grit and start fresh. Ive done those window trims, my spoiler/wing, some inside trim and i thought about doing my bumpers next, then on to metal.(insert awkward evil scientist laugh) Ill take some pics tomorrow.

Edited by rich_e777
got to learn how to spell it the first freakin time.