New Here, 1998 Monte ls exhaust

Bigray1111

It might be cheaper to cut the top of the muffler off, put in the flex pipe and be done with it. If not you will have to pay someone to cut off the muffler and the exhaust tip and then weld up a straight pipe and then get the exhaust tip welded back on.

The exhaust shop I went to gutted my resonator for half of the price of replacing it with a straight pipe.

I still want there to be a muffler there just for looks, i never liked seeing just a tailpipe coming out. I'm going to clean up the ltz mufflers and gut them as planned, use the flex pipe inside since I'm unable to weld the muffler shut, and clamp it to my stock pipe. I'll still draw up a picture for future reference.

I've seen some people use like a large hose clamp that goes around the muffler to hold it together. That might not be a bad idea. So at least your muffler has a top to it.

Like cut it on 3 sides and fold it back and then just clamp it back over. Just a thought...

thats a thought, but i feel like the muffler doesnt get too hot if theres a pipe going through it, so maybe drill holes and stitch it with zip ties?? like a heart surgery patient lol

Edited by Bigray1111

LOL that would be a creative way to go about it. But zip ties might melt no??? I guess with a pipe going through it wouldn't be as hot.

You could get some glass pack type material and pack that around the pipe.

LOL that would be a creative way to go about it. But zip ties might melt no??? I guess with a pipe going through it wouldn't be as hot.

You could get some glass pack type material and pack that around the pipe.

I doubt the zip ties would melt, after the cat things tend to cool off I just wanna minimize water collecting inside of it. Probably end up drilling a drain hole or four haha

• 2 weeks later...

Hey 94 olds, do you think you can explain that a bit better? Are you saying that i can use a grand prix exhaust from what year? because I know the yard around here has that.

In all seriousness, do a 2.5" from DP back. a cat in the stock position and a 18" vibrant resonator. Best sound you'll ever get out of a 3100

[video=youtube;dSAQMcgHL9Q]

[video=youtube;5UTNj3HE8Pg]

Edited by AWeb80

In all seriousness, do a 2.5" from DP back. a cat in the stock position and a 18" vibrant resonator. Best sound you'll ever get out of a 3100

Sounds great aweb, and might I add that you have a very clean car.:thumbsup:

I would definitely go ahead and do something like that if cost does not get in the way. Around how much did you spend on a set up like that?

Hey 94 olds, do you think you can explain that a bit better? Are you saying that i can use a grand prix exhaust from what year? because I know the yard around here has that.

A 1994-1996 Grand Prix exhaust would more than likely work on your Monte. It has to be very similar. Like Robert said. Maybe even a Cutlass exhaust from 1992-1997 would work. Not sure how many CS got duals in 1997.

custom piping, new cat, resonator and C6 tips.....around 450 IIRC

Well theres no way I'd spend anything like that on this car. When i can do my original plan for under 100

Are we seriously talking about ziptying exhaust parts on...?

As stated in this thread, go to the yard, find a Z34 or LTZ and cut it off before the Y. Or if the cat's already ripped out, take the whole damn thing with you and give it to a shop to weld up. If you insist on having something loud, straight pipe it. Why on earth would you even fuck with cutting a muffler open? It's going to sound like dick either way, so you might as well just make it cheap.

Are we seriously talking about ziptying exhaust parts on...?

As stated in this thread, go to the yard, find a Z34 or LTZ and cut it off before the Y. Or if the cat's already ripped out, take the whole damn thing with you and give it to a shop to weld up. If you insist on having something loud, straight pipe it. Why on earth would you even fuck with cutting a muffler open? It's going to sound like dick either way, so you might as well just make it cheap.

well its actually all finished up, didn't bother closing up the top, just kept it open. and no, does not sound like dick. ill post up a few pictures when i get the chance. cant be negative against creativity.