white96supreme

What is everyone's view on wheel spacers? I've got a 96 Cutlass Supreme sedan with the granny 15's on it. Done a whole bunch of research on compatible OEM GM 16" wheels and found some gen 2 Grand Prix 5 spoke 16x6.5 at a local salvage yard. The current steel wheels are 15x6.5 with an offset of 42mm and the 16"s have a 52mm offset. I ordered new longer studs and 7/16" spacers to correct the offset difference between the two. Am I being paranoid by using non hub centric universal spacers? I found a company that can make custom hub centric spacers for $140+tax/shipping. Thoughts? Here is a pic of one of the wheels on the car.

post-7229-143689092805_thumb.jpg

Edited by white96supreme

Those are the grand prix wheels I am changing to, its got the 20 spoke wheel covers on it now. It needs to have spacers to clear the caliper brackets front/rear and the trailing arm on the rear. I just put one on to get a feel for how it would look after installing new studs and to check the spacing.

Edited by white96supreme

why not get 5 spokes wheels from a 1G W and have to deal with wheel spacers? :shrug:

Right, these are the 5-spoke wheels that my 96 cutty came from the factory with and they clear the calipers like they were made for it (lol). If you like the GP ones better or happen to already have a set that's one thing but if you just want sportier 5-spoke aluminum wheels you can probably save some time and money by going with these. I always thought these were pretty cool looking wheels, and pretty close to the gp wheels that you've got picked out...

post-3396-143689092856_thumb.jpg

Edited by j_mezz

I've got a 95 cutlass supreme, and recently I went shopping for longer studs and spacers to fit 2G wheels. But the cost of the proper spacers ended up being too much for me on top of the wheel cost. The hub-centric issue, and extra weight also were negatives for me. I bought some cheap 1G grand prix 5-spokes and put them instead, they stick out more than stock due to the lower backspacing but I like it. They look very similar to your wheels, but just slightly concave. Anyway, for less than the price of spacers and 2G wheels, you could have bought 1G Grand Prix 5-spokes and not dealt with spacers and studs. Sure, they say "Pontiac" on one spoke, but who cares?