COnvertible top help!!

pimpin213

ok so ive had my cutlass 1995 for about a month now, and when i used to put the top down only one side would go down so i would manually pull the other one down. Now the problem is when i was raising it, the left side was going up, and it bursted or something, lije a hydraulic line thing that looks like a strut had a bunch of fluid, so now when i try to push up or doen it just squirts something. and the right side one never worked, how would i go about fixing this?? thanks.

Sounds like you need a couple of convertible top cylinders- unless the fluid is just coming out of the line that leads into the cylinders. The cylinders run about $75.00 a piece used.

Sounds like you need a couple of convertible top cylinders- unless the fluid is just coming out of the line that leads into the cylinders. The cylinders run about $75.00 a piece used.

ok thanks for the quick response, and are those the same things as rams?? and where would i find them? any websites or do i have to hunt them down? thanks again

Check to see if a brass looking connection connecting the cylinder to the arm...thats the best way I can think of describing it. Should be around a 2" Brass peice that the cylinder arm threads into I believe. Both of mine broke, cylinders were still good but it was the cause of the top not going up since the cylinder was not connected to the arm or something..ill take a look at mine tomorrow to try and give a better description lol.

ok thanks for the quick response, and are those the same things as rams?? and where would i find them? any websites or do i have to hunt them down? thanks again

I've occasionally heard them referred to as rams. Salvage yards, ebay, and this board are your best bets for them used. www.convertibletopguys.com has them for $140 apiece.

Do you have fluid coming out from both cylinders or just one?

Edited by White92Cutlass

I think you need to replace the hydralic cylinders and possibly the hoses as well. I've done it on two different verts and it's not that difficult.

DUH! For some reason I didn't see any responses to this pot when I first looked at it. Sorry for repeating what had been said. I've gotten both of mine on ebay for $60 a piece used but I've had good luck with them. The web site Red93Cutlass referred you too is an excellent choice for new ones. I've dealt with them and they are good.

Good Luck.

Edited by oldsfever

Check to see if a brass looking connection connecting the cylinder to the arm...thats the best way I can think of describing it. Should be around a 2" Brass peice that the cylinder arm threads into I believe. Both of mine broke, cylinders were still good but it was the cause of the top not going up since the cylinder was not connected to the arm or something..ill take a look at mine tomorrow to try and give a better description lol.

Are those under the cylinders??

Thanks for the link, im going to try to find some used ones first. Do you guys know if cylinders from any other car will work?? the cutlass ones are hard to find on ebay used.

Thanks for the link, im going to try to find some used ones first. Do you guys know if cylinders from any other car will work?? the cutlass ones are hard to find on ebay used.

I don't think cylinders from other cars will work. You'll come across some somewhere soon.

I don't think cylinders from other cars will work. You'll come across some somewhere soon.
ok i hope so, i had another question too, would anyone of you happen to know why when i close the top, the front doesnt seal all the way? like thewres a big gap and i have to put a garbage bag so it doesnt leak in the rain. any help thanks