Which Clutch?

outonthetiles

I'm doing a getrag 284 swap into my 2000 Impala LS. I have everything I need for this swap except for a clutch. I know that a factory 284 clutch will probably not hold up to the 3800 for very long, so I was looking at spec clutches. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which stage clutch I should buy? I plan on top swapping after I get the trans swap done, and looking to hopefully eventually make 300whp, so I would need one that would hold up to that.

i have a stage 3. it is def more of a track clutch than a street one, it is kinda hard to slip. i think the stage 2 is more street friendly, although more expensive

I'm looking for something that is street friendly and will hold up to occasional autocrossing.

What's the difference between the 2 and 2+?

I'm using an OFA from a 97ish Buick Riviera, combined with an aluminum oil pan and motor mount from an 05 GP. I talked to Kuntzie who did this with his 2nd gen, and he said this would work, so we'll see when I get going. I can't wait for the spring so I can start working on it.

I run a Spec stage 2 in my z34, it works really well. Grips really nice and firm. Its kind of snappy but not so much that you would get sick of it daily driving. Just beware Spec has a 100% lack of customer service, you are better off talking to a wall.

And for all of us that have planned a 2nd gen swap and failed, please please post detailed pics if you can.

That way we can live out our 5-speed swap dream vicariously through you:lol:

I am going to take as many pics as possible.. Once the roads are salt free, I'll be starting this project on my days off. So stage 2 seems like it would be the best spec clutch for me. Does anyone know of any other brands that would work and be comparable? I read on the LS1 forums that alot of them have had problems with their spec clutches, so now I'm having second guesses.

• 2 weeks later...

Call clutchmasters. I recall hearing about a guy who lost a leg when his SPEC clutch shattered.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

Edited by xtremerevolution

SPEC can actually build an okay product.. it's their customer service and post-purchase support that is absolutely nonexistant. They're seriously a bunch of assholes, they'll blame any problem you have on an "improper install". I argued with them left, right and sideways about issues I had with the Lumina's clutch. I ended up getting better advice from a guy on a Civic forum regarding the problem I was having.

As for a clutch shattering, I hate SPEC, but that really could have happened to anyone.

I emailed clutchmasters and southbend and the cm is $800 and the sb is $700 and both are without shipping. I might go with SPEC just for the price. $529 for a stage 2 and I found a place with free shipping.

I just don't want something that's going to blow up, 284's are just too rare!