Favorite Engine

emb1230

Hmmmmmmmmm.....no brainer...,

legendary Keith Black 426 Hemi,

right behind that.....GM's lengendary ZL1 engine.

aaaaahhhh...there ain't no replacement for cubic inch displacement.

try to shoehorn one of those into a w-body.....:D

I was actually going to do this as a poll, but don't know all the engines that came in these, especially the newer ones. And then I'd have to add choices like the 2.5 to it and you know NOBODY is gonna vote for that one!!

What about other W-body engines? In China, the Buick Century was sold as the Buick GL/GLX and featured 2 variants of the LG8 engine. one was a 60* 2.5L OHV V6 (code LB8) with 145 HP, and 155 ft-lbs, The other engine was a 3.0L variant (code LW9) with 170 HP, and 180 ft-lbs.

BUICK3.JPG

well W-body wise

3100 sfi in my first W body and car

LQ1 in my monte

L67 in the grand prix

none w-boby

ecotec, quad 4

six all of the above and 3800 series 2

4.3 vortec

V8

350,LT1,LS1, any GM V8 just about lol too meany

If we're going not just in W-Bodys

Let's take a step back in to the 1960's,

The old reliable 283,302,327,350,396,427,454 or for that matter, any Dodge Wedge motor or 426 Ford motor. Anything pre 1972!

^^x2 on the pre 72

In a w-body, I would have to say the 3100. I've had good experiences with the LG8. The combined kms on the LG8s currently in my family (my dad has an 04 century) is over half a million kms, and there hasn't been one problem with either motor. My dad's has 340 000kms, and don't even burn any oil, but mine with 189 000kms does burn a little.

Overall, my favorite motor would be the 454 LS6 from the 1970 Chevelle SS. I absolutely love those cars, and that motor. IMHO, the best sound in the world is a BBC with a good exhaust.. then again, the new Boss 302's sound pretty mean...

I think the small block Ford (221, 260, mostly 289, 302, 351w though) is about the greatest engine that's ever been made. They're my favorite to build anyway. Reliable grocery getter & people mover. Great grunt motors in trucks and vans, and if you breathe on them a bit you can make a retarded amount of power with a 351w based motor.

The small block Chev is legendary but I haven't had the pleasure of working on too many. Same goes for the Buick 3.8

Best motor in a W body? I'd say the Buick 3.8....it's just a great motor.

The 2.8s and 3.1s I've had have been excellent reliability-wise. The turbo 3.1 was by far my favorite, though it required more attention.

I'm not fond of my LQ1. I've had terrible luck with it and put a LOT of hours into fixing it.

Favorite engine ever? From actual experience only, I'd go with the 2007 Audi RS4 I drove. 4.2 V8, 414 horse and an 8200 RPM redline. Full Milltek exhaust. One of the most amazing rides of my life, and certainly the fastest car I've ever driven.

Since we're not talking just W-body engines, I'd have to go with the LSX. I've never driven anything with the LSX, but I love the GM gen 3 V8s so I'm sure I'd love their top-of-the-line.

In a production car, LSA.

LS2

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7296[/ATTACH] :D

Man you're making me miss the GTO I used to have :cry:. It was an '04 Impulse blue on blue w/ '06 tails, and I had a set of SAP grilles that would have gone on it if I had kept it.

Of the engines I've personally experienced, the LS1 would be my favorite (because of that car definitely). Seemingly endless torque, and oh the possibilities for more if it was wanted!

Favorite w-body engine? LQ1 no contest.