Favorite Engine

emb1230

I do enjoy the power of the LQ1, but hate working on it (my own personal bad experience)... I really enjoy the power of the 3800 supercharged but hate the slushbox its attached to... I enjoy how smooth the 3100 cars are, but they are slower than sin... The 3.8SI/2.8/3.1 are all bulletproof... So all of the engines have there advantages which I why I said all of them

I do enjoy the power of the LQ1, but hate working on it (my own personal bad experience)... I really enjoy the power of the 3800 supercharged but hate the slushbox its attached to... I enjoy how smooth the 3100 cars are, but they are slower than sin... The 3.8SI/2.8/3.1 are all bulletproof... So all of the engines have there advantages which I why I said all of them

Shift kit and a tune = not so slushy box.

I enjoy how smooth the 3100 cars are, but they are slower than sin... The 3.8SI/2.8/3.1 are all bulletproof...
we had a 95 with the 3100 and now a 89 Regal with the 3.1, I can definitely tell that the 3100 has more get up. on the plus side, the Gen2's didn't have the pblm with the intake gaskets that the Gen 3 ones did.

4 cylinder: Quad 4, Ecotec

6 cylinder: LQ1, LX5, and the High Feature V6 engine family

8 cylinder: Northstar, Ford Coyote V8

Anyone notice a theme here?

Edited by Z34guy

Oh, they all had intake gasket issues

Andrei, I have a shift kit and a tune

I guess I've had issues with my trans for long enough to not know what a normal shift feels like. :lol:

I actually don't think the Regal ever shifted 100% correctly once the L67 was swapped in.

Edited by xtremerevolution

I was actually going to do this as a poll, but don't know all the engines that came in these, especially the newer ones. And then I'd have to add choices like the 2.5 to it and you know NOBODY is gonna vote for that one!!

For me:

#1 L67 - Easy to work on and blower whine is sweet! Just keep the exhaust quiet.

#2 LQ1 - Never had one, but I was infatuated with it and dreamed of a swap when I had my 1990 GP SE.

#3 LH0 - Because of my 1990 SE, and before that car I wanted the 3.1 Cavalier.

2.5? You mean the Iron Duke? My first car, an '83 Celebrity had one of those. NOT a favorite.:lol:

My exact thoughts..

And the 3800 Series II is nice because it has decent power and gets good mpg's.

3.4 TDC for sure. I don't know if I would want it for a daily but its by far the most fun and rewarding to drive.

I DD the piss (like 500 miles a week) out of a 3.4 and, aside from some old car problems, and one hellacious oil leak, mine does just fine.