9006 to 9012 Mod

Jprice90

just picked up some Phillip Standard bulbs, man is it a big difference, im glad i did research before i just started buying a set of bulbs, the toenail clippers i had didnt work good at all, so i just used a small set of snips and cut it off no problem, heres a picture, not the best, but you can see a little bit :thumbsup:

post-6480-143689088966_thumb.jpg

I've been thinking about doing this for my high beams for a while. I can't wait to see some night shots of them.

So what exactly is the mod?

Take a 9012 HIR bulb, which is brighter than most available halogen bulbs, and trim it to fit the 9006 socket. It's essentially the same as getting a 9005 bulb to fit the 9006 socket, but with a much, much better bulb.

i agree, the picture isnt the best, my camera was being weird, and i just wanted to get a picture before the battery pack drained

but you can tell a difference lol..i was so surprised

Ah, I see now. How much are the HIR bulbs/ where's the best place to get 'em? The more I see DIY's with improperly aimed HID's crammed into some regular ol' car, makes me feel more and more sheepish about my 1 car I have them in (the Monte) in spite of aiming them low to compensate.

The 9011 will fit as a direct plug-in

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HIR1-9011-Standard-Headlight/dp/B00480J5CW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327340774&sr=8-2

The 9012 will fit with some slight modification

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HIR2-Standard-Halogen-Headlight/dp/B00480N18G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327340774&sr=8-1

And here's the difference:

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/47097-Non-Factory-Lighting-for-Dummies-HID-HIR-etc

Stock 9006 - 55 watts - 1000 lumens

Stock 9005 - 65 watts - 1700 lumens

HIR 9012 - 55 watts - 1870 lumens

HIR 9011 - 65 watts - 2350 lumens

HID 35 watts @ 6000k - 2800 lumens

HID 55 watts @ 6000k - 3350 lumens

Don't forget that the HIR bulbs do not have the coating on the tip of the bulb like the 9006 bulbs do, so they will emit some additional glare, but it will probably not be anywhere near as bad as HIDs.

It just ocurred to me that some high temp header paint might do the trick for creating a cap on one of those bulbs.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

i got my low beams for like $30? on Amazon, came in a few days

Xtreme, do you see the left headlight how in the center of the headlight, theres like a line down the center where the lights not shinning, what is thattt

• 1 month later...
anybody know?

Looks like it would be part of the glare reducing cap that's inside the housing. Is it visible as part of your light beam pattern at night?

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

i cant say that it messes with the pattern, my headlight housings are way off but i dont think it affects the pattern

if you walk up to it you can see it though