Anyone need a Subwoofer?

xtremerevolution

A post up if you look at when I removed the seat and how dirty it was..well all that dust was caked to the metal after 15 years of moisture getting in through the convertible. Got it very clean after a few hours of vacuuming and then using a little cleaner and a towel. Since its almost 70 degrees out I might just shampoo the carpet while its far above freezing. Cutting the wood tonight hopefully for the amps to be mounted too.

post-6351-143689089993_thumb.jpg

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• Rick

• Gpfreak

• alec_b

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking great! Keep up the good work.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

Constant rains put a damper on finishing the install, but cant see any wires in the trunk and I just need to drill two holes in the seatbelt bracket to bolt the board too so it doesn't slide around.

Ill try snapping a progress picture after school today

Constant rains put a damper on finishing the install, but cant see any wires in the trunk and I just need to drill two holes in the seatbelt bracket to bolt the board too so it doesn't slide around.

Ill try snapping a progress picture after school today

Memory card decided to corrupt, camera got a spec of dust on the lens. Fixed both those...dont have an update picture except for this; imagine the box cut out and sub placed inside the cut out. Ill try snapping a pic tomorrow..been constant rain and got snow last night so progress is at a halt right now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7415[/ATTACH]

So many ridiculous problems lately. To start off I crashed in a field, thankfully after the sub was secured, if it were a day or two sooner the sub and box likely would be toast. Then I drilled a hole in the brass seatbelt bracket and then tried screwing in a screw a little too big and that actually melted itself in place. So I used nails with ridges to hold it in place after redrilling that hole and one on the other side.

Everything is done :o I say that..but likely it isn't haha.

Heres a small video, I started drilling today and it wasn't even snowing..within two hours of drilling, nailing, securing the amp rack down and then bolting the seat back in place it started to snow with flakes near the size of golfballs! Sorry didn't get the best view of the subwoofer, but hopefully you can see it and what I did.

I will FOR SURE have a video when its sunny with it in action too lol.

[video=youtube;B-fnMx127K4]

Edited by Rick

Can't say I've ever heard of anyone using nails. I'd rather use nuts and bolts with lock washers, but I digress. I would advise the use of self-tapping sheet metal screws in the future.

Box looks good otherwise, but you definitely need to cover it!

Have you had a chance to really crank it up and see what it can do?

Can't say I've ever heard of anyone using nails. I'd rather use nuts and bolts with lock washers, but I digress. I would advise the use of self-tapping sheet metal screws in the future.

Box looks good otherwise, but you definitely need to cover it!

Have you had a chance to really crank it up and see what it can do?

Well I planned on using self tapping sheet metal screws, but I was drilling through brass and it wouldnt make it(why I assume it melted/welded itself). The nail is in solid, its a wood working nail and the board isn't moving anywhere.

Its not getting covered probably until summer, getting that thing in the trunk and the custom wheel well mount was a major pain in the ass.

Yupp, I have cranked it a LOT actually. Dad was next to me on the highway a day ago and I pulled up next to him at the light and let it go. When I got home later he said he could feel it in his car and was like it is ridiculous haha. Have had a few girls not be able to handle its loudness, so it gets pretty up there.

The song Kyoto by Skrillex definitely has to be one of the best it hits on. I've had a lot of people be like...W.T.F. when I tell them the total build cost was under $200 for everything related to the subwoofer. I have a lot of people be like thats how much I spent on my amp alone haha. I will get a video of it playing very soon! I havent cranked it above a certain point yet, which is a point thats pretty loud. Im afraid I might get clipping much higher. Its on a little past average for gain and +12 bass setting with LPF set around 100. Max I hit on the volume is a little above halfway, 38/62

Well I planned on using self tapping sheet metal screws, but I was drilling through brass and it wouldnt make it(why I assume it melted/welded itself). The nail is in solid, its a wood working nail and the board isn't moving anywhere.

Its not getting covered probably until summer, getting that thing in the trunk and the custom wheel well mount was a major pain in the ass.

Yupp, I have cranked it a LOT actually. Dad was next to me on the highway a day ago and I pulled up next to him at the light and let it go. When I got home later he said he could feel it in his car and was like it is ridiculous haha. Have had a few girls not be able to handle its loudness, so it gets pretty up there.

The song Kyoto by Skrillex definitely has to be one of the best it hits on. I've had a lot of people be like...W.T.F. when I tell them the total build cost was under $200 for everything related to the subwoofer. I have a lot of people be like thats how much I spent on my amp alone haha. I will get a video of it playing very soon! I havent cranked it above a certain point yet, which is a point thats pretty loud. Im afraid I might get clipping much higher. Its on a little past average for gain and +12 bass setting with LPF set around 100. Max I hit on the volume is a little above halfway, 38/62

That +12 bass setting might be causing some poor frequency response. That's usually there to boost the bottom end of a sub's passband that is usually otherwise missing, such as in a sealed box. You really don't need it if you're going for sound quality as the box is designed to give you a linear frequency response. Just crank the gains up a bit instead.

Since we know you're using quality amps, you can safely assume that you will be louder than most people who spend 2-3x as much as you did. Here's why. We perceive loudness in decibels. a 10db increase is perceived as a doubling in loudness to our ears. It takes you 2x the amount of power to increase output by 3db, so if you are playing at 100db at 200W, and you give your sub 400W, you will only increase loudness by 30%. While its a decent chunk, you can see why there are diminishing gains the more power you provide. You can provide half the power as someone who has a very expensive 12" sub in a sealed box and be louder. The box I designed for you gives you as linear of a frequency response as possible, while boosting output by a good 8db on the low end (which is why you don't really need that +12db bass boost).

I'm glad this thing pounds as hard as it does. I'd love to be able to hear it in person. :thumbsup:

If this kind of thing interests you, I can teach you about subwoofer and speaker design.

That +12 bass setting might be causing some poor frequency response. That's usually there to boost the bottom end of a sub's passband that is usually otherwise missing, such as in a sealed box. You really don't need it if you're going for sound quality as the box is designed to give you a linear frequency response. Just crank the gains up a bit instead.

Since we know you're using quality amps, you can safely assume that you will be louder than most people who spend 2-3x as much as you did. Here's why. We perceive loudness in decibels. a 10db increase is perceived as a doubling in loudness to our ears. It takes you 2x the amount of power to increase output by 3db, so if you are playing at 100db at 200W, and you give your sub 400W, you will only increase loudness by 30%. While its a decent chunk, you can see why there are diminishing gains the more power you provide. You can provide half the power as someone who has a very expensive 12" sub in a sealed box and be louder. The box I designed for you gives you as linear of a frequency response as possible, while boosting output by a good 8db on the low end (which is why you don't really need that +12db bass boost).

I'm glad this thing pounds as hard as it does. I'd love to be able to hear it in person. :thumbsup:

If this kind of thing interests you, I can teach you about subwoofer and speaker design.

Hmm the snow should be dying down within the hour or two. If it stops completely ill get back there and change that..hopefully I can get to it from the trunk otherwise ill be removing the seat again lol. Ill do some testing with the gains and see how loud I can get it to crank with the bass gain set to zero. Does this mean I should also not use a booster in the headunit settings? It has a frequency in the sub woofer settings for I believe 50hz, 60hz, 80hz, 100hz, 125hz and I currently have it set at 125 +6(Max Boost setting).

I would be glad to learn, I still have 4 ft x 4ft sheet of mdf left...I was thinking I might try making something out of that. Maybe a box that could be hooked up with 6x9s(dad has those free mounted in his 66 GS Buick and wow are they loud with a amp hooked up to them) and quick attached to a amplifier. Or even was just thinking home audio speakers I could connect a ipod to with a 12v power line. I dont know how all that works, but I think that could be possible. I just feel like I should do something with the extra 4x4 sheet and I have a lot of those wood screws and glue.

Hmm the snow should be dying down within the hour or two. If it stops completely ill get back there and change that..hopefully I can get to it from the trunk otherwise ill be removing the seat again lol. Ill do some testing with the gains and see how loud I can get it to crank with the bass gain set to zero. Does this mean I should also not use a booster in the headunit settings? It has a frequency in the sub woofer settings for I believe 50hz, 60hz, 80hz, 100hz, 125hz and I currently have it set at 125 +6(Max Boost setting).

I would be glad to learn, I still have 4 ft x 4ft sheet of mdf left...I was thinking I might try making something out of that. Maybe a box that could be hooked up with 6x9s(dad has those free mounted in his 66 GS Buick and wow are they loud with a amp hooked up to them) and quick attached to a amplifier. Or even was just thinking home audio speakers I could connect a ipod to with a 12v power line. I dont know how all that works, but I think that could be possible. I just feel like I should do something with the extra 4x4 sheet and I have a lot of those wood screws and glue.

The setting on your head unit is the crossover setting for the amp if your amp doesn't have one or if you don't want to adjust it at the amp. I always adjust it at the head unit. You'd probably want to set yours at 80hz or 100hz. Then, you could use the bass volume adjustment (which you said goes up to +6) to increase or decrease the loudness of the sub.

I could teach you how to build some home theater speakers. I have a few designs that would work well for you, and the Lepai Tripath amps are excellent and cheap.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300

The setting on your head unit is the crossover setting for the amp if your amp doesn't have one or if you don't want to adjust it at the amp. I always adjust it at the head unit. You'd probably want to set yours at 80hz or 100hz. Then, you could use the bass volume adjustment (which you said goes up to +6) to increase or decrease the loudness of the sub.

I could teach you how to build some home theater speakers. I have a few designs that would work well for you, and the Lepai Tripath amps are excellent and cheap.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300

Do you think it would be possible to have a total cost below $70? Thats my free cash right now, but I should be landing a job soon to have more. I already have speaker wire, wood glue, mdf wood, screws...so I think the only things needed would be speakers and the amp?

Do you think it would be possible to have a total cost below $70? Thats my free cash right now, but I should be landing a job soon to have more. I already have speaker wire, wood glue, mdf wood, screws...so I think the only things needed would be speakers and the amp?

I can sell you a kit for some speakers that I've made in the past. You're looking at somewhere around $50 for parts and you'd have to solder the crossover together. I can teach you how to do that too as this is exactly how I learned. Here's what mine look like with 1/2" pine. I'm selling two pairs on Etsy but I have enough parts to make quite a few more pairs.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/85211230/the-starfish-pair-of-tm-micro-monitor

All you'd really have to buy after that is paint and primer. Interested?

I can sell you a kit for some speakers that I've made in the past. You're looking at somewhere around $50 for parts and you'd have to solder the crossover together. I can teach you how to do that too as this is exactly how I learned. Here's what mine look like with 1/2" pine. I'm selling two pairs on Etsy but I have enough parts to make quite a few more pairs.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/85211230/the-starfish-pair-of-tm-micro-monitor

All you'd really have to buy after that is paint and primer. Interested?

Im definitely interested, but I feel as this would be a project better suited towards springtime. Mom definitely didn't like the basement being turned into a wood shop lol. Im not sure how long you'll have those parts, but im thinking more towards April to early May sounds like the prime time to do this project when I get cut a few pieces of wood outside on a table to make sure im getting perfect cuts versus using a ghetto-rigged saw table I made in the basement.

I figure this is something I can take to college too, thats in early August I'll be heading off to Mizzou.

Im definitely interested, but I feel as this would be a project better suited towards springtime. Mom definitely didn't like the basement being turned into a wood shop lol. Im not sure how long you'll have those parts, but im thinking more towards April to early May sounds like the prime time to do this project when I get cut a few pieces of wood outside on a table to make sure im getting perfect cuts versus using a ghetto-rigged saw table I made in the basement.

I figure this is something I can take to college too, thats in early August I'll be heading off to Mizzou.

Spring wouldn't be a bad idea. I have quite a few projects now including a radical open baffle design, a bass tower with 12 6.5" subwoofers, a few larger TM speakers, and a desk I'm building for my wife, so I've got my hands full and probably won't make any more of those little ones any time soon.

That sub box looks like its built like a tank, lol. Very nice work. It will look much cleaner when its carpeted.

Looks like you're having too much fun with it too, lol. Looks like its shaking your whole car apart.

Impressed any friends with it yet? I'll bet peoples jaw dropped when they discovered how little you spent on the whole thing. :thumbsup:

Sure as hell beats those bazooka tubes, some of which are around the same price too!

That sub box looks like its built like a tank, lol. Very nice work. It will look much cleaner when its carpeted.

Looks like you're having too much fun with it too, lol. Looks like its shaking your whole car apart.

Impressed any friends with it yet? I'll bet peoples jaw dropped when they discovered how little you spent on the whole thing. :thumbsup:

Sure as hell beats those bazooka tubes, some of which are around the same price too!

Definitely beats that bazooka tube I had prior. Oh, and it definitely surprises a lot of people. A kid right down the street from me spent $1200 total on his whole audio system. He has 2 12" kicker subwoofers. I have never been in his car but sure have heard it from the outside, and if loudness is what he was going for im right next to his, let alone I have always heard not so great reviews of kicker. When I told him I spent only $270 about on a whole upgrade except for the rear speakers he was quite surprised. Even if I added the cost of the receiver that would still bring it below $400.

This car definitely seems to always be a work in progress, around mid march over spring break if I can figure out where this oil leak is coming from im taking it up to my grandpas shop in Chicago to tear the engine apart and get this oil leak under control once and for all. While im up there im re-doing the brakes and also going to finish spraying the calipers this weekend.

Picked up a Vinyl and Leather repair kit from O'Reilly's for $12, opposed to AA or Autozone for $20+ and the exact same thing, but I was told at all three places to try this so hopefully it patches the convertible top up nicely.

Now just to get a lid for the center console...haha.

If you come through Chicago, stop by. I'm in the southwest Chicago suburbs.

Kickers are garbage. They are horribly inefficient, horribly overpriced, and they sound like crap.

+1 to that.

I've owned enough Kicker stuff in my day do know. I even had the "good" stuff, 2 12" CVX's. In high school it sounded great, but then I grew up and bought my JL's and a proper amp. Amazing difference. And I could do a lot better than that, I know.

• 3 weeks later...

If it stays nice for a little bit I plan on pulling it out and carpeting it. Started working at Mcdonalds so thats a little money and should get a paycheck in a week and ill use a little of that for carpet and maybe sound deadener for the trunk. Its still kickin hard, and I noticed you're on cruzetalk haha, was seeing how my video ended up on the site and realized your apart of that one also.

I never really realized how slow my w-body was until today when my friend just got a 6.0 GTO and damn that thing is fast. Not sure if those are still in the w-body class or not but damn

If it stays nice for a little bit I plan on pulling it out and carpeting it. Started working at Mcdonalds so thats a little money and should get a paycheck in a week and ill use a little of that for carpet and maybe sound deadener for the trunk. Its still kickin hard, and I noticed you're on cruzetalk haha, was seeing how my video ended up on the site and realized your apart of that one also.

I never really realized how slow my w-body was until today when my friend just got a 6.0 GTO and damn that thing is fast. Not sure if those are still in the w-body class or not but damn

Haha, yeah I am on cruzetalk as well. I joined after I bought my 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco back in January. I figured I could use your build as an example of how it can be done even if you don't have a background in car audio and need to borrow tools from neighbors. You did quite a good job on yours.

The GTO is in an entirely different class. That's a 2006 RWD car with a V8, not an early 90's FWD car with a V6. They are quite a bit of fun though.

Haha, yeah I am on cruzetalk as well. I joined after I bought my 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco back in January. I figured I could use your build as an example of how it can be done even if you don't have a background in car audio and need to borrow tools from neighbors. You did quite a good job on yours.

The GTO is in an entirely different class. That's a 2006 RWD car with a V8, not an early 90's FWD car with a V6. They are quite a bit of fun though.

Well thanks, and yeah the GTO I mean is a completely different story but its sad that a 6.0V8 averages the same as my 3.4L V6 lol. Definitely a lot of fun but he needs to work on his shifts or he is going to cause some wear on the clutch or trans.

Once I have it carpeted ill post back with some pictures and your free to reuse them wherever I dont mind, afterall wouldnt of been possible without your help on these last 12 pages of this post haha