Anyone need a Subwoofer?

xtremerevolution

Anyone looking to buy a subwoofer any time soon needs to pay attention to this.

PartsExpress has for sale a buyout 12" subwoofer. $65 for 19mm of xmax, 600W RMS power handling, DVC 4 ohm (can be wired to 2ohm), and its a quality driver at that. Amazing deal.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-090

190g moving mass places this in the SQ/SPL category; a sub that will do both well and take some abuse; general purpose. The large vented pole piece further reinforces that this is a high power handling driver. You won't find a better deal for $65, I guarantee it.

For those who don't know, Buyouts are deals on PartsExpress where they get a large number of these drivers in bulk at ridiculously low prices, and pass on the savings to us. When they're sold out, they're gone for good, so if you're in the market for a subwoofer, get one while they're still available.

I would be more than happy to design a sub box for anyone who wants to use this driver. Expect 1.25-2.0 cubic feet for one, depending on alignment and listening preferences.

Edited by xtremerevolution

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• Rick

• Gpfreak

• alec_b

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would 900 watts be too much for it? Or will it be safe with the proper enclosure?

900w is fine. You'd just need to adjust your gains correctly. I'd design the enclosure to allow the sub to hit 600W at max excursion, so you'd start to bottom out if you gave it too much power. Overpowering is rarely an issue. Its underpowering and clipping that destroys subs.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

I figured as much. I've never had the gain over 1/3 on my nine.1. Never needed to. That's where it was set using the volt meter/test tone method.

At what impedance is that 900w available?

450 @ 4 ohm

900 @ 2 ohm

1200 @ 1 ohm

As rated at 12.5v from eD themselves.

At those ratings, I'd be tempted to run two in a sealed box. At this price, its hard not to. These look like they'd take quite a bit of abuse.

Hmm... I need a new 12". I might wait a week and see where my funds are. I need a new amp, but my 900w RF one is still kicking just fine, old is all. I'd want to go into my box and make sure its all airtight, maybe caulk it. It's an older prefab box, but it's held up great and sounds decent. I'm not doing any competing

At those ratings, I'd be tempted to run two in a sealed box. At this price, its hard not to. These look like they'd take quite a bit of abuse.

I guess I didn't think of that, two of them at 1 ohm would work out just about perfectly. I had both my 12w6's and Type-R's wired this way, and both hit VERY hard in relatively small boxes. And you're right, at 65 bucks a pop, it's almost worth getting two. Plus it saves $15 in shipping, so I'd be getting the second sub for $50 bucks with the savings. Not a bad deal at all.

Do you have a rough idea of what size box these would require? Would they be better off in a dual box with individual internal chambers?

Hmm... I need a new 12". I might wait a week and see where my funds are. I need a new amp, but my 900w RF one is still kicking just fine, old is all. I'd want to go into my box and make sure its all airtight, maybe caulk it. It's an older prefab box, but it's held up great and sounds decent. I'm not doing any competing

You don't need to compete to want to have a nice sounding box. It also might not be suitable for the sub, as in it may sound like complete crap or bottom out too easily. What are the dimensions? I can let you know how well it would work.

I guess I didn't think of that, two of them at 1 ohm would work out just about perfectly. I had both my 12w6's and Type-R's wired this way, and both hit VERY hard in relatively small boxes. And you're right, at 65 bucks a pop, it's almost worth getting two. Plus it saves $15 in shipping, so I'd be getting the second sub for $50 bucks with the savings. Not a bad deal at all.

Do you have a rough idea of what size box these would require? Would they be better off in a dual box with individual internal chambers?

When wiring two subs off the same amp, you can use a common chamber. Separate chambers complicate things unnecessarily and make the box a tad larger. I would recommend some bracing though, and a double thick baffle.

Sealed, you'd probably be in the range of 1.25 cubic feet per sub. I can model it for you if you'd like.

And yeah, that shipped price for two beefy subs is pretty incredible. You really can't beat that.

While Andrei is right in suggesting common chamber for two subs, I typically run divorced chamber if only for the fact that it takes care of your bracing as well. Just my $.02.

I remember when these first came out and the Stevemeadedesigns forum went nuts over them. Wonder what happened to t3...

You don't need to compete to want to have a nice sounding box. It also might not be suitable for the sub, as in it may sound like complete crap or bottom out too easily. What are the dimensions? I can let you know how well it would work.

Oh I'd definitely want a new box, but at least for right off the bat I'd have something to put it in. I wanna say my box is around 1.5 cubic feet, maybe slightly bigger

Oh I'd definitely want a new box, but at least for right off the bat I'd have something to put it in. I wanna say my box is around 1.5 cubic feet, maybe slightly bigger

Sealed? Should be alright. It will do fine as a temporary box.

Sealed? Should be alright. It will do fine as a temporary box.

Yeah, it's supposed to be sealed, but I don't know how "sealed" it really is. I was gonna caulk all the edges to make sure. Again, I have it and it'd be temporary. I'm gonna watch this, but if its still available friday I'll probably order one. I might splurge on two, but that's probably irresponsible :lol:

Yeah, it's supposed to be sealed, but I don't know how "sealed" it really is. I was gonna caulk all the edges to make sure. Again, I have it and it'd be temporary. I'm gonna watch this, but if its still available friday I'll probably order one. I might splurge on two, but that's probably irresponsible :lol:

Find a friend who wants one too. Buy 2 and pay no shipping cost. Problem solved!

or.. do what I did.. and order 6. Ordering 6 of the t1000s today as well.

"

INTERNET ORDER

Date: 23-Dec-11 11:25 PM

Order Number: 6039445

Terms: Visa Auth: XXXXXX

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- - Parts Express

- 725 Pleasant Valley

-

- Springboro, OH, 45066

- Phone: 800-338-0531, Fax: 937-743-1677

-

BILL TO:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- - CHAD (INFO REMOVED)

-

SHIP TO:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- - CHAD (INFO REMOVED FOR PRIVACY!), United States

- Home Phone:

-

INTERNET ORDER DETAILS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD] QTY [/TD]

[TD] PartNumber [/TD]

[TD] Product [/TD]

[TD] Price [/TD]

[TD] Ext. Price [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1 [/TD]

[TD] CATALOG [/TD]

[TD] FREE CATALOG [/TD]

[TD] $0.00 [/TD]

[TD] $0.00 [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 6 [/TD]

[TD] 269-090 [/TD]

[TD] T3 Audio T600-12D4 12" 600 Watt Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer [/TD]

[TD] $58.32 [/TD]

[TD] $349.92 [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1 [/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD] Economy Shipping [/TD]

[TD] $0.00 [/TD]

[TD] $0.00 [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

http://www.parts-express.com/catalog/eflyer.cfm"

You better let me design you a box!

Sorry about passing out on you! I blinked and woke up like 2 hours later sitting in my chair still lol. I don't suppose you saved your design did from last night did you?

Oh win, just found this: http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/53317-Why-sub-boxes-are-important?p=1062408#post1062408

LOL.. I have a bunch of world championship trophies from db drag, as well as a handful of iasca trophys in sq.. Ive got plenty of experience in car audio, I just havent messed with it in a few years (about 7 or so) I would love to get some input from you if you'd be willing though :)

fwiw- my last setup was 2 18" mt's in a 16 cu ft box with 300 sq in of port powered by a rockford t30001 per, rockford power 8004 running my comps and a pioneer avic N1 headunit, if that tells you how long ago it was! haha

LOL.. I have a bunch of world championship trophies from db drag, as well as a handful of iasca trophys in sq.. Ive got plenty of experience in car audio, I just havent messed with it in a few years (about 7 or so) I would love to get some input from you if you'd be willing though :)

Can't tell you how many IASCA events I've been to where amazing sounding systems didn't even place in the top 3, and complete shit sounding systems won 1st and 2nd place solely because their install was significantly better and cleaner. It was all up to the judges. I've been turned off to car audio competition for a while now after some of those experiences where "looks great and flashy" wins more competitions than "sounds incredible." Hell, I've seen Kicker square solo-baric subs win SQ competitions. Really? Massive moving mass, inefficient design, and everything that an SQ sub is not.

The scene has changed a bit. With the modeling software we have available, its a different scenario. Given a set of measurements, I can very accurately (within reason) predict what a sub will sound like in a specific car, cabin gain and boundary loading considered.

That said, what kind of box do you want me to design you? What kind of music do you listen to primarily? What are your listening preferences and expectations? How good is your front sound stage with regard to midbass presence?

fwiw- my last setup was 2 18" mt's in a 16 cu ft box with 300 sq in of port powered by a rockford t30001 per, rockford power 8004 running my comps and a pioneer avic N1 headunit, if that tells you how long ago it was! haha

Never did go that big. The biggest I ever went was a single 15" hifonics sub in a large-ish ported box and I hated it after about 8 months. I went in the other direction entirely; SQ. I imagine if you were on the scene back then, you'll remember the Image Dynamics IDQ drivers. I own 3 IDQ10s and an IDQ15 (all V2) as well as an IDMax10 V3.