Larger Intercooler

dbtk2

I have seen posts about people getting larger intercoolers for their TGP's, and was wondering if there is any specific intercooler that fits without modification, or if you have to modify them, and how hard it is to do so. Just let me know what you did if you have done this so I can see how much work it is actually going to be, and say if it was a front mount intercooler or not also. Thanks.

Shawn

With a little bit of modification, you can install the front mount intercooler from an 87-92 Supra. That's the route I'm taking as soon as I get my butt in gear... (had the IC after the Supra's was upgraded).

Maybe I started a trend haha, Everyone will begin using intercoolers from supras. I think that it does its job very well, they are not the best looking things on the planet but hey they work great!

so basically an 87-92 twin turbo supra intercooler will fit where the stock one fits? How much bigger is it than the stock one, how much better does it work, and how much modifying does it take to fit it in?

Thanks.

Shawn

My intercooler is actually from the newest supra's. Not the older body style ones but like the orange one in the fast and the furious, that body style! And no, mine does NOT mount in the stock location. I had to pull off the front bumper and cut into the actual metal bumper, and the intercooler has hangers coming off of it that extend over onto the bumper and bolt to it. So its pretty much a cut out with the intercooler having arms that attach to the bumper, i really dont know how to explain it????

My intercooler is actually from the newest supra's. Not the older body style ones but like the orange one in the fast and the furious, that body style! And no, mine does NOT mount in the stock location. I had to pull off the front bumper and cut into the actual metal bumper, and the intercooler has hangers coming off of it that extend over onto the bumper and bolt to it. So its pretty much a cut out with the intercooler having arms that attach to the bumper, i really dont know how to explain it????

Yeah, thats a little more complicated than what I was thinking. I want something that will bolt in without having to do too much work, so preferably close to the stock location, and not involving cutting. But is there any way to do a front mount intercooler without having to cut out of the bumper or is it just too much in the way?

Yeah You probably could mount something to the front bumper support but then u might have problems with it sticking out to far and the bumper not sliding back on correctly. I get my car back on Wednesday and I am going to look into a big frount, I'll see if i can get anything to fit and then let u know!

• 2 weeks later...

I can get spearco I/C's for $375 +shipping. they noramlly retail for $600. the core is 18.5" long 6.5" tall and 3.5" thick. they come with cast alluminum end tanks that have 2.5" in/out. they include generic mounting brackets.

If i got payed up front i can make a kit for your car.. but they kits are $$..

I have used these intercoolers on multiple different car and they work awsome.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p9fb2e4e12a7e69ccb13f2987bff4b9d1/fc2cfada.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p58f522c6a568d0f0ed26021299a64c7a/fc2a05c0.jpg

pipe kit (jetta) and intercooler:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid66/pf38b9c8aca12c08eeda853561ed63e27/fbe373a9.jpg