Why? What were they thinking?

BRZN

You don't even need to disconnect the hose to the coolant overflow reservoir when replacing the ECM. Just unbolt/unclip it and set it aside with the hose still attached.

Matt: Good to know. Thats what I did, but there was less coolant in there than there should have been, so to avoid a spill I thought disconnecting it might be better

Yeah, there's a proper procedure for *everything*. If you're the kind of guy who 'follows the book', these cars really aren't all that hard to work on. But if not....

...im not sure where you intended to go with that statement, but I'll give you a little more advice because (hard to tell, forgive me if i am mistaken) it seems like you are a little apprehensive about working on your car.

Im not sure which book you speak of, but a Haynes manual might be a start. They are like $15 and you can get them at auto parts stores, book stores, on amazon, on Rockauto, etc. Are they worth $15? Maybe. The most helpful they are is with the meaning of diagnostic codes, operation of sensors, sensor outputs, wiring diagrams, torque specifications, wear limits, acceptable operating conditions of mechanical parts, etc. This is the kind of stuff not readily discerned by merely looking at the part in question. Its mildly helpful when looking at a job and trying to estimate how long it might take, provided that nothing goes wrong or nothing is rusted in place. Otherwise, the guidelines given in the book are pretty sparse and could use some elaboration. For the most part, important techniques to manipulate your parts are left to your best guess, but sometimes they come through (again, mainly for the stuff thats not plainly visible, like retracting the piston on rear brake calipers, they list a few techniques in there).

The good news, however, almost everything thats not mentioned in the Haynes manual (or if you choose not to 'follow the book') can be solved and carried out by a person of reasonable intelligence who has two good hands. Worst case scenario, there are people on this forum who have literally taken apart and reassembled entire cars, (sometimes more than once) and others who would be glad to help you solve whatever brain busters you come across.

Like I said these cars are incredibly easy to work on. It doesnt take book knowledge to remove old parts and put new ones on. Automotive repair is quite a bit simpler than many people make it out to be.

Edited by mra32

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I might be able to answer this question a little. One of the key reasons the washer fluid resevoir is located over the battery in the last revision of GEN 1-1.5 W-bodies (1988-1994) was to give more foot room and space in the passenger cab. If you noticed, within those years and with each passing year, the engine seemed to get closer, and closer to the front grill. There was also a growing number of electronic modules in the vehicle starting to take up even more space. By 1995, GM finally decided to start using a new data bus (known as class 2), which reduced the number of wires and modules, and was fast enough to allow cellular and data communication even (OnStar). This data buss and these changes is why, you start seeing more improvements in location from 1998 and then on.

Another reason for such improvements was, you guessed it, customer complaints. Many GM customers did not like that you had to practically dig out the battery to get it out of the vehicle. Most shops and service centers did not know how to either and it confused them. To go along with Crazy K's comment and White93z34's statement, the key reason that shops would remove the tire is because that was the proper procedure for Chrysler Corp vehicle's that usually had their battery burried even more.

To answer the question about the Bonneville. This may surprise you, but, there are a few reasons the battery was located under the seat. First of all, the Bonneville actualy shared a platform with a few Cadilacs including the Seville STS/STS and Deville/DTS. Like with most Cadilacs, the Bonneville also had most of it's electronics located inside the rear seat in order to make more room for the V8 engine and passenger cabin. This was also a good battery theft deterrent as well.

I hope this helps.

Starflare5.

In my old 95 GTP I got rid of the stock washer fluid reservoir and put one in from a 4th gen f-body. We made a couple tabs and it mounts to the front of the rad support under the plastic covers

I'm just glad that Ws aren't that hard to work in in the grand schemes. My buddy's firebird is HELL to do anything. No room to get under it, and everything is burried. He pulled the trans, and that was retarded, took him a week or so, cause everything goes down, not up.

• 1 month later...

My Regal isn't that hard to work on, the motor is kind of crammed into the engine tho.

Try working on a transit style school bus and then you'll appreciate how easy regular cars are to work on.

all in all, I think most everything on the Gen 2 60 deg V6's is pretty easy to get to except for the coil packs. However, the LQ1's look like a real bitch to work on!

Yeah coil back is under front exhoust manifold and power steering pump is in the back at the bottom, I have not work on mine yet and I already dread it, agreed on gen two 60's well 1.5 gen :lol: 3800 are hard to do but when i change the plugs it did not seem to bad.

I got a replacement (NO maintenance) that was bigger/stronger. Yes it was bigger...in size too, so I had to remove the AF box to get the battery in, a larger batt does fit in the tray. The darn thing will not 'drop in' must be twisted from the side. The Mgr at Advance gave me $5 off because they would not do the free install on the Cutlass.

Why not turn this into a thread of "WTF were they thinking" complaints/oddities we notice over the years.

1995 gen 1.5's.

WTF Was GM thinking installing rear drum brakes? And ones with the horseshoe spring at that

1218101419.jpg

I'm still wondering why my coil packs are being cooked so close to the exhaust manifold... :lol:

Get one that mounts on the pass side strut tower. I'm sure you could find one at the junkyard. Any 3X00 would work. 96+ DOHCs might even have them.

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet but 4 words come to mind... SIDE MOUNT BATTERY CABLES!!!!11111!!!! Oh, and the 2-3 piece radios on 88 & 89 GP's and 88-94 Regals.

Edited by emb1230

Why not turn this into a thread of "WTF were they thinking" complaints/oddities we notice over the years.

1995 gen 1.5's.

WTF Was GM thinking installing rear drum brakes? And ones with the horseshoe spring at that

1218101419.jpg

HAHA i saw one at the junkyard last week and i looked at the brakes and i saw drums...needless to say i was pretty damn confused.