Why? What were they thinking?

BRZN

Who decided to put the battery here on my '94 GP SE?

Windshield washer fluid reservoir:

post-6852-143689085288_thumb.jpg

What's that hiding under there?

post-6852-143689085292_thumb.jpg

All this just to get to the battery?

post-6852-143689085298_thumb.jpg

What's this? The ECM sitting over on the otherside all by itself? I'd just think it would have made more sence to switch these two around for easier access to the battery.

post-6852-143689085303_thumb.jpg

If I remember right, they put it under the passenger seat on like the olds aurora or intrigue for a while. Mercedes also did this one

:facepalm:

Probably for better weight distribution, but ughhhhhhhhhh what a pain in the ass

How is that so hard to access? :lol: A few bolts, move it out of the way, you're at the battery (Not arguing that it's the smartest design ever, but it isn't hard at all)

My thoughts exactly.

It's probably because while designing the car, it was discovered that a battery could fit there, so they did it without thinking about the practicality.

Reminds me of an article written by Jamie of Mythbusters fame, discussing the difference between designing solely on a computer and designing with physical parts, to test for issues like this.

Definitely not hard just a real inconvenience. I serviced the car and wasn't sure if the battery was maintenance free or one that you needed to check the water on: maintenance free. I try to teach my kids little things on the car so they'll have a clue. I couldn't imagine trying to explain how to monitor the water level of the battery to my 16 year old daughter had it been that type.

The battery in my bonneville is under the rear seat inside of the car. I'm sure that'll be fun to replace someday.

ugh, it'll take you 5 minutes to pull it.....takes longer to get the right sockets out of the tool box. it's derpin' easy. My brother took mine out of my Aurora for me and couldn't believe how easy it was

The battery in my bonneville is under the rear seat inside of the car. I'm sure that'll be fun to replace someday.

wow how did i never know this? what if you need a jump?

The battery isn't much of a PITA on the 1992 Cutlass compared to the ECM/ECU, which is located *underneath* the coolant recovery tank (which is considerably larger than the one depicted in a photograph earlier. Really not looking forward to the day when I have to drain the cooling system and remove a considerable number of pipes just to replace the ECU.

How often are you guys replacing the battery where this is an issue? Its not like thats where the fuel filler is. That picture shows that your airbox is in plain sight and air filter service/replacement happens on a much more frequent basis than replacing a battery.

Pitzel, you will lose no coolant if you ever have to replace the ECM. Ive had to replace mine but its supposedly quite rare to replace an ECM, anyway.

Its a coolant overflow tank, so disconnecting the line to it will not affect the rest of your coolant system. All you have to do is disconnect the line to the radiator filler neck and undo the 2 stamped nuts that hold it on. Should take you no more than a minute. Its more difficult to disconnect the wires from the computer than to access it. Due to its shape, the tank uses more plastic but holds about the same volume as the windshield fluid reservior. It can also easily slide right out of the engine bay.

I really havent found a car easier to work on than my old 3.1 Lumina, other than doing spark plugs. And 3 of those are super easy to do anyway, so its still not that bad

Pitzel, you will lose no coolant if you ever have to replace the ECM. Ive had to replace mine but its supposedly quite rare to replace an ECM, anyway.

Its a coolant overflow tank, so disconnecting the line to it will not affect the rest of your coolant system. All you have to do is disconnect the line to the radiator filler neck and undo the 2 stamped nuts that hold it on. Should take you no more than a minute. Its more difficult to disconnect the wires from the computer than to access it. Due to its shape, the tank uses more plastic but holds about the same volume as the windshield fluid reservior. It can also easily slide right out of the engine bay.

I really havent found a car easier to work on than my old 3.1 Lumina, other than doing spark plugs. And 3 of those are super easy to do anyway, so its still not that bad

Yeah, there's a proper procedure for *everything*. If you're the kind of guy who 'follows the book', these cars really aren't all that hard to work on. But if not....