Why two performance shift indicators?

alec_b

Being it's an SE, my car doesn't have performance shift. I did, however, notice today in the sunlight that there's two "PERF SHIFT" indicators. One is on the cluster, top left. There's also one identical above the low washer indicator in the DIC. What gives?

the one on the dash is not wired not even on the cars with perf shift. no idea why GM did this

on the cars with HUD it also shows there as well as the DIC

I've seen plenty performance shift equipped cars have it light up on the dash

Interesting Fact: Most (if not all) W's had tables in the computer for performance shift values for the car. Since some didn't come with a switch to enable the values (although the logic is there) you just need to replace the regular values with the performance ones and call it a day. GM also has a urban shift table hidden in some of the operating systems as well - bit harder to get to though.

I've seen plenty performance shift equipped cars have it light up on the dash

well i know for a fact 99 and 2000 do nto have it light up on tha dash and the bulb is not burned out either becuase there was no bulb even put on in to see as i thought it was odd to have a cut out but have it not light. it just lights up the DIC and the HUD. maybe it works on 97s and 98s

on clubGP there is a write up on how to wire it in though to make it functional i can nto be bothered to try and make the search work though:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update:

I ended up having my DIC and instrument cluster out a few days ago to replace the base DIC with the digital GT/GTP DIC with trip computer. While I had it all apart, I took a close look at how things were labeled on the circuit boards of the two instruments.

On the back of the base DIC, the "PERF SHIFT" indicator was indeed labeled as such on the printed circuit, and was tinted with orange for the illumination. On the back of the instrument cluster, the "PERF SHIFT" indicator was labeled as "spare" on the circuit board, and tinted with blue for illumination. I also noticed that the digital DIC has a "Performance Shift" readout, but obviously that doesn't apply to my car. It appears as though the performance shift indicator was never meant to be used in the cluster itself, as it's not labeled on the circuit board.

post-4737-143689085356_thumb.jpg

97-98 and some earlier 99 GTP's (my roommate's 99 GTP lights up perf shift on the cluster, not the DIC) had the Perf Shift light in the dash...and 2000 GTP's it was on the DIC. My 00 GTP has the space on the gauge cluster I can see in the sunlight that's not hooked up...since it has it in the DIC.

Truthfully, it's a total crapshoot as to what cars got it on the DIC and which ones got it on the cluster. 1998 (not 1997) was the first year for the cluster performance shift light. I have seen more 98's than anything else have the PS light on the cluster. I've also seen plenty with it on the DIC. I don't know if there was any real rhyme or reason.

Interesting Fact: Most (if not all) W's had tables in the computer for performance shift values for the car. Since some didn't come with a switch to enable the values (although the logic is there) you just need to replace the regular values with the performance ones and call it a day. GM also has a urban shift table hidden in some of the operating systems as well - bit harder to get to though.

The PS tables are really just tow/haul tables and in the PCMs that I've looked at, if it didn't come with PS/TH, the tables just mirror the standard shift values.

GM also has a urban shift table hidden in some of the operating systems as well - bit harder to get to though.

I'm extremely intrigued by this for some reason....what are the shift characteristics?