Rear window tint is bubbling....

Oilpatch197

..and yes it does have the rear defog/defrost option. Is there ANY solution to this problem? I know it is a PITA to tint a rear window with heater strips... and then once you use the rear heater the tint will bubble up.:mad:

I have my rear window tinted and mine hasn't bubbled yet. Although I haven't used the rear defroster yet. But when the tint was applied if it was done right to where all the air bubbles are out it should not bubble up. My moms and my brothers car both have their windows tinted and have used their defroster and nothing has happened.

Advice? Well only thing I could say to try is take a push pin and pop little tiny holes in it and force all the air out of it.

Well I am not too sure, but maybe what you could do is turn the rear defogger on, let it get nice and warm then start to peel it off, that way any glue will be loose and should pull right off..

I would like to add, if you do take it off, use this stuff called Goof Off to remove the glue, worked like a charm on my friends car.

Edited by Mel87

I'd try getting some halogen work lamps and aiming those at the car for awhile to heat it up so it peals with less chance of the tint taking the defrost grid off

Windex, trash bags, and a sunny day.

Spray the living crap out of the inside of the window with the windex, cut the trash bag into a flat sheet and stick it to the window. Leave it sit in the sun for awhile so the ammonia tries to evaporate and eats through the glue. Then it should come off relatively easy.

After that, stop using windex or ammonia/vinegar based cleaners on your glass. That is the #1 cause of bubbling, well, that and cheap tint/tinters.

I'm not sure how much money you want to spend, or how fussy you are about the final results, but here is an idea I head about once at a body shop; your car is old enough that a junk yard rear window is really cheap, maybe 50-100 bucks. Take the junk yark window to a good tint shop, and have them put the tint on while the window is out of the car. Then have it installed. All told, maybe a $200-250 investment, and a perfect rear window. The rear window in my 97Cutlass is doing the same thing, and when I get the time that is how I am going to handle it.

Ya, just to reiterate what others have mentioned. IF the tint was done properly, it won't ever be bothered, or bubble from using the defrost. Either find a buddy that knows how to do it right for cheap (like I did on my MC; looks fantastic BTW) or you'll have to cough up the dollars to take it to a professional tint place. And no, they won't have to have the window out of the car to do it either.

Also, agreed with white4dr96, do not use ammonia based cleaners on glass with tint on it; EVER!

Yeah, you have to get special window cleaner made for car windows with tint or else it will bubble.

After my car was tinted the guy told me the same, he recommended to use Stoners.