Possible bumper adjustment?

Mel87

I noticed this awhile ago but never got a chance to really look in to it. It's nothing major but in these pictures you will see the turn signal lenses, notice the gap in between the top and bottom on both sides, the driver's side looks good, but the passenger's side looks to be more of a gap, I have taken the passenger's side lens off the car do try and re adjust it but it only goes in one fit spot, so it's not that, so some way or some how I think the bumper is not aligned right.

Thoughts, opinions?

Driver's side

IMAG0547.jpg

​Passenger's side

IMAG0548.jpg

Wow, you are much more attentive about your ride than I am.. I have noticed the same on my CS, but never really put any effort to change it because it's not visible unless you are right up looking at the care. You could ajust the bumper, IIRC a bit, but that won't necessarily fix the issue since it's really about how the bumper cover fits to the fenders and other body parts.

Are both fenders original parts to the car? Over time i have noticed slight shifting occur as my CS has ajusted to drastic changes in the weather (I live in MN). I will be pulling one of the lenses off my CS soon, I could see if I can figure something out then...

Yes, I pay true attention to my car, like I said it's not a big deal because just like you said, unless your really looking for that flaw, you'll never see it. I was just curious to what would cause it to happen. But as far as I know everything on the car is original. I think at one point and time someone might have side swiped the passenger side when the previous owner had it because the passenger's side mirror is flat black, and not gloss like the drivers, I have to take care of that as well.

• 3 weeks later...

My car got into a front-end accident before I bought it. I decided cosmetics aren't that big a deal lol. Honestly though, these aren't luxury cars here. I'd expect a bit of bad fit. Maybe repaired side-swipe? If so, it actually looks pretty good.

I see what you are talking about. I've never noticed that on my car because I've never looked.I'll get some pictures....

I'm not exactly sure how you could adjust the bumper on this car. I've had mine off more than once and I don't really see how. :think:

I looked at mine. It's about the same as yours. It drops down when it meets the fender. It's not a lot, but now that you've pointed it out. I'm going to notice it more.

Hahah oops! Not to try and make it worse but the trunk lid on mine doesn't line up perfect with the flange on the tail lights (the spoiler). But I think the adjusters in the trunk lid should fix that if it has them. Never payed attention to it, I know our 87 CS has them.

Mine was in a rear end accident. The shop I took it too was a able to adjust the deck lid perfectly. The spoiler and the tails line up good and the bottom gap on the reverse bar is good all the way across.

I'm sure there is a way to adjust that.

Really is no adjustment.

It's an early-mid 90's GM vehicle. Your lucky it lines up as well as it does.

Actually there is a little bit of slop adjustment on most any plastic bumper cover. One has to hold the bumper in place while the retaining screws are loose, then tighten where desired. We seem to do a few cars a week at the body shop that involve at least the bumper cover replacement among other things and there is almost always a little bit of nudging involved to get the bumper cover to line up to the fenders, lights, etc. And yes, this has included a few 90's cars.

Upon further examination it seems maybe my fender is out of line.. Take a look at the passenger side picture, the fender is raised slightly above the hood at the corner, then again it could be the hood not right... IDK!! It gave me a headache, but I am going to try and not pay attention to it;)

Actually there is a little bit of slop adjustment on most any plastic bumper cover. One has to hold the bumper in place while the retaining screws are loose, then tighten where desired. We seem to do a few cars a week at the body shop that involve at least the bumper cover replacement among other things and there is almost always a little bit of nudging involved to get the bumper cover to line up to the fenders, lights, etc. And yes, this has included a few 90's cars.

Right, which is why I said that there is not much adjustment.

EDIT: Re-read my post, a bit misleading. As he says, tiny bits of adjustment.

However, I still hold to what I said. You can't, and should not, expect perfection.

You can't, and should not, expect perfection.

Ya, OP was asking for thoughts and opinions on possible bumper adjustment. I never said anything about getting it perfect. I just stated that it can be adjusted.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if you have an aftermarket hood? I bought my 97 Coupe wrecked in the front, and when I built it, I could not find a used factory hood, so I bought an aftermarket hood. It never fit correctly. It has the same hump on the right side by the front lights like yours does, and is now rusting on the front edge. An easy way to check is to look for a decal with the VIN on the underside of the hood. I have since found a used OEM hood, and will paint/replace it when I get a chance.