*sighs* The 91 is blowing oil smoke on cold startup.

9lumina6

Um, okay some really "good" advise in this thread....

I say FIX THE PROBLEM, it smokes. Smoking kills converters, and is bad for the enviroment.:(

It's not friggin hard to fix this, IMO pull spark plugs to find oily plug then you know what cylinder, seriously this is not a expensive repair, if you have a competent mechanic.

When your car smokes and you add a "little" oil, it is better just to fix it, thinking you can just drive it, is nothing other than a "false economy". I don't want oil on my Oxygen sensors or plugging up the converter, hell no.

Edited by Oilpatch197

Not quite as easy as you make it sound. This is a 3.4 DOHC, you'd need to remove the cam carrier and then re-time the engine afterwards.

Not quite as easy as you make it sound. This is a 3.4 DOHC, you'd need to remove the cam carrier and then re-time the engine afterwards.

Yeah, but his name is 'oilpatch'...if anyone should know about oil, it's this guy. :roll:

And how can you kill a 200k mile old cat? That thing is long dead bud.

That's easy!

And how can you kill a 200k mile old cat? That thing is long dead bud.

..and should have been replaced a long time ago, but if it's still passing the exhaust test, no need for replacement, fix oil consumption ASAP. After market cats TEH SUCK, for example the $100 cheapo midas replacement cats don't contain very much of the metals. Thats why they have a 2 week guarantee. They are basically made for people who fail a smog test and need to replace their cats. ... Burning oil will clog the honeycomb in the cat and eat away the precious metals. Fix the oil leak or get it fixed by a competent tech.

Edited by Oilpatch197

That's easy!

No it's not, it's a BITCH and a half on an LQ1. And plenty of people (myself included) have driven cars like this problem-free, just topping off oil as needed. It's just a fact of life for the LQ1.