*sighs* The 91 is blowing oil smoke on cold startup.

9lumina6

Just noticed this today....Not sure how long it's been doing it, but today when I started it it was quite noticable and the smell was very strong. It does not do it once warmed up....and I did check the oil and it is down to the "fill" line. It's been just shy of 3000 miles since I last changed it and it's still pretty clean....so I mite as well change it so it's got a fresh 6 qts. The car doesn't idle funny at all.....runs perfictly smooth. I'm just trying to get some opinions here on what to start looking for?

My old z34 did that for the last year or 2 of its life. If its only using about a liter every 3000 miles I'd count yourself lucky. Just make sure to check the oil from time to time.

Yeah...I figure it's not too serious as of right now....I'll just keep an eye on the level. If the motor ever gets bad enough I think it'l be time for an L67 swap.

Yeah, the oil is getting past the valve seals and pooling on the valves...then burning off at startup.

I wouldn't worry too awful much about it. Maybe go up a weight and add some Lucas, that might stave off some of the oil burn.

Well I've only had to change the oil once since I've had the car....I put 5 qts of the 5W30 and 1 qt of Lucas. So maybe do 10W30? 10W40?

Personally, seeing as how the old girl has over 200k miles, I cannot see 10w40 doing any harm. I've run it in almost everything I've ever owned. Some people might advise against this, but I've never had a car burn oil running 10w40, except the Land Rover. It still burned 20w50 though too.

Personally, seeing as how the old girl has over 200k miles, I cannot see 10w40 doing any harm. I've run it in almost everything I've ever owned. Some people might advise against this, but I've never had a car burn oil running 10w40, except the Land Rover. It still burned 20w50 though too.

Yeah...it's almost at the 3000 mile mark...so when I change it i'll do 5 qts of 10W40 and a qt. of Lucas and see how it fairs.

Yeah...it's almost at the 3000 mile mark...so when I change it i'll do 5 qts of 10W40 and a qt. of Lucas and see how it fairs.

If it still smokes at 10w40, then you might just have to deal with it.

I know what I would do, but I will not advise you to follow my lead...if it still smoked with 10w40, I'd personally dump some 20w50 in at next change and see what it would do. But I like to push my limits, and go against the grain :lol:

ok...so this is a common thing for higher mileage LQ1's i'm assuming. I just don't ever remember my 95 Z doing it at all.....but that had the distrubutor shaft o-ring problem....and it had gotten so bad right before I sold it that I had to put a quart a week in it for that.

On my euro i just watched the oil pressure gauge, when it started reading a little lower i knew it was getting a little low. Never had any problems with it.

That's what I do in the Festiva, except worse. I wait til the oil light comes on. LOLOL

<--------And here's another 200k mile LQ1 for that list. I'd personally still run 10w30. The burning oil isn't hurting anything and thicker oil is not going to correct anything. No sense living with some thick stuff to help a visual problem.

I've been using synthetic and have never noticed such an issue on my cars... except for my unmentionable L67 car that I have seen physically smoking... It still has overdue dino oil in it... soon to be corrected. Increasing the weight slightly should do no harm, and synthetic would help to.

p.s. Lucas oil additive is just a thick additive-package-free stock oil (basically gear oil), lets say you put 5 quarts of 5w30 into the car and a bottle of lucas, you just made your oil thicker while thinning out the additive package. You could have just put it 6 quarts of 10w40 or 20w50 and had a cheaper and better oil change without compromising the additive package.

google "bob ins the oil guy lucas additive" and read all about it.

my 90k mile cutlass didnt smoke but burned a quart a month untill i went to synthetic

It was the exact opposite in my dad's 95 87k LQ1, put synthetic in and it blew blue smoke... change it to conventional, blue smoke is now gone.

Also same thing with my crate motor in the Laguna, it puffs blue smoke on start up and full throttle with synthetic, but switched back to conventional and it's fine now. Only 6500 miles on that motor.

My LQ1 has a little over 220k on it and i have to add a quart and a half every 3000 miles. 10w40 and the lucas oil stuff helped out a lot and increased my oil pressure once warm.