Battery tender Question

AWeb80

I had my brother pull both batteries from my cars...the GP and the Aurora and put them in my apartment while I'm gone. I think they'll be ok there but they are both at least 5 years old (GP has an 890cca (IIRC) red top). I was going to have him bring them to my parents place and charge them for a day or so every month. I think it would be easier and less running around for him if I just purchased a battery tender and had him plug it in to one battery and then switch every 2 weeks when he stops by to check on the place.

What is a good brand to get? I looked on Amazon.com which is where I'll probably buy it and there are lots of models to choose from. Which would work for me and why?

I would like to keep these batteries in good shape while I'm gone, I don't want to spend ~$300 on two new batteries when I just get home.....especially the Aurora as I want to sell it when I get home and don't want to throw a brand new battery in just to sell it.

Thanks.

if they are parked outside try considering a solar battery tender or a trickle solar charger . i run the solar trickle charger in the lumina . haven't had any problems with it . the lumina is currently sitting in the driveway with the panel sitting on the dash board . i checked the battery yesterday and it is at 12 volts . that with a known draw on the system

Clean the battery cases so there's no conductive slime on them. Check electrolyte level, fill if needed (and possible.)

Charge the batteries with a decent battery charger so they have 12.6 open-circuit volts AFTER sitting idle (not charging) for a couple of hours.

LEAVE THEM ALONE until you get back.

Simple, easy, effective.

I agree with Andrew. I will say this though...I had the 5 year old el-cheapo Valucraft battery out of my 94 GP sit and freeze all winter in my Garage without a charger, and it started the Blazer without hesitation when I tossed it in just to see what it would do.

It's in the 95 GP as of right now, doing just fine.

I had the 5 year old el-cheapo Valucraft battery out of my 94 GP sit and freeze all winter in my Garage without a charger, and it started the Blazer without hesitation when I tossed it in just to see what it would do.

COLD is the BEST way to store a battery.

• 1 month later...