Dorman brand Control Arms - Any good?

Stan9864

I had my 2000 Buick Century in the garage, and they said that the lower control arm bushings were going. They recommended replacement of the lower control/ball joint units.

Dorman offers replacements at a reasonable cost. Has anyone used these?

How hard is replacement of these to the backyard mechanic? It looks do-able. Is alignment affected at all?

Thanks.

They are a good factory replacement. Depends on how much rust you have. Getting those bolts off if they are rusted can be hard. The bolt in the knuckle is 18 mm IIRC.

I have them on my car. So far no problems at all.

I have them on my Regal and I actually had the problem of one of the bushings becoming unseated right away, but other than that no problems. I re-seated it and it's still staying in place. Can't go wrong for the price and having everything shiny.

They are boxed in. The factory ones only have three sides. As they rust they can be easily twisted by hand. The welds seems decent. Kinda of hard to screw up a metal bar. The bushings are good or better than factory. Certainly better than what you are replacing.

Unless you can get some BXX tubular trailing arms. Those will be the best!!! BXX is a boss!

If he is talking about front LCAs, then I still recommend Doorman. I've installed a few and have been happy with them.

And for the money while you have new LCAs out of the car, pop out the front vertical bushings and install a set of Moog ones. They are molded much much better and are 100 times less likely to slip out.

OK, everybody, thanks for the feedback, I'll go with the Dorman. I've never had a problem with their products (their tech support is another matter), but I figured I would ask about this specific product.

And for the money while you have new LCAs out of the car, pop out the front vertical bushings and install a set of Moog ones. They are molded much much better and are 100 times less likely to slip out.

"Front vertical bushings" would be called what in a parts catalog?

Thanks!

Pretty much exactly that:lol:

Moog part number K6712

Yes, this appears to be a lower control arm bushing. Isn't this already included with the entire dorman lower control arm assembly?

Thanks.

Yes, this appears to be a lower control arm bushing. Isn't this already included with the entire dorman lower control arm assembly?

Thanks.

Forgive me, I think I am a tad slow... I think you mean to modify the new dorman part by replacing a bushing on it with a Moog part. I am cheap and lazy :thumbsup:, so I would prefer to just install and forget, unless I hear that the dorman bushing stinks, the Moog part is excellent, and replacement is simple.

I think this is the bushing that the garage showed me as going and necessitating replacement of the unit.

Cost of Dorman complete unit - $41, + S&H

Cost Moog front and rear bushings, and ball joint - $66, +S&H

So does it really matter how cheap the Dorman unit is when the bushings they use are "100 times" more likely to give problems; and the suggested course of action is to replace them before installing the Dorman arms?

Have we determined that the ball joint actually needs to be replaced?

So does it really matter how cheap the Dorman unit is when the bushings they use are "100 times" more likely to give problems; and the suggested course of action is to replace them before installing the Dorman arms?

Have we determined that the ball joint actually needs to be replaced?

All posters have recommended the Dorman units, one suggested replacement of the one bushing. If replacement of that bushing is simple with the lower control arm off, I will consider it.

Your post mentioned replacing the ball joint.

I have not verified the ball joints' conditions, but if this is original equipment, then with 131k miles, they are getting replaced while I have the arm off, regardless.

I missed any comments that the Dorman product is likely to give problems, let alone (your quote) "100 times".

I missed any comments that the Dorman product is likely to give problems, let alone (your quote) "100 times".

Not my quote. Came directly from BXX.

The Moog design bushings are less likely to slip as compared to the GM ones, not the dorman. The Dorman are slightly better than the GM. But Moog kinda redesigned the bushing a bit, adding a taper to it which appears wont even allow the damn thing to slip out.

Edited by GOT2B GM

But Moog kinda redesigned the bushing a bit, adding a taper to it which appears wont even allow the damn thing to slip out.

OK, so would I need some type of press to do the bushing swap? Can I rig something with a C-clamp, or a puller? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have not had the lower control arm out yet, and can only visualize.

OK, so would I need some type of press to do the bushing swap? Can I rig something with a C-clamp, or a puller? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have not had the lower control arm out yet, and can only visualize.

I use an air hammer to remove and install them.

Ok thread cleaned up. We all know the state of the manufacturing industry across the US and Canada (trust me, I know) No sense in arguing about it here.

Thanks guys :thumbsup: