Painting Calipers

AL

Since I am doing brake pad and rotor replacement on all 4 corners of the GP, I think I may paint the Calipers... If so, what color should I paint them? Also, do you have to do some sanding before I apply the first coat? How many coats should I apply?

I usually see red mostly when people paint calipers. I personally like to keep it simple like black. Give it a new caliper look not a ricer look. As for painting them I would just spray it off with some brake cleaner and a brush. Tape off all rubber it would look weird with the rubber paint plus I think it wears it prematurely..

-Jarek

Red looked good on my old GP, but for some reason I got tired of the look and went to black when I re-did my brakes for the last time. Here's a pic of the red

HPIM1381.jpg

I think silver would look good

I like silver. It doesn't even really appear to be painted, but just looks like clean metal. It just highlights the caliper, especially going down the road when wheel spokes aren't visible. Yes it would be a good idea to sand it a little to get the paint something to adhere to, but the main thing you've got to do is get every bit of dirt and grease off the caliper or it won't stick. This can be a bit more challenging than it sounds when there 200,000 miles of road grime on there.

DSC00207.jpg

Edited by jman093

Oh, and I never sanded either time I painted them. I did what jman did and cleaned the caliper multiple times, making sure to get everywhere I was going to paint very well. I used a toothbrush and I never had any flaking problems :thumbsup:

I am not sure. also its ricey

I'd agree and disagree. Red can look ok, but that's about the only color (aside from black or silver) that I'd say that to. I think the best is doing the bracket and caliper opposite black/silver

while red adds 50WHP while braking, it's much cleaner to paint them whatever color your wheels are.

gotta add the bwhp loL..!!

-Jarek

Ricey? Hardly, unless you're painting your drums, too.

Comp G calipers came painted red from the factory, and they're far from rice.

I was thinking of Black but I really like the Silver idea... Euro, do you have pics of the black calipers?

I do! Here's a couple that are kinda close up

HPIM1831.jpg

DSC02644.jpg

DSC02673.jpg