Just wondering................

GRANDFURY

Ok so some of you have seen my posts lately about my car. Well tonight at work I just had a thought. I know my alternator is on tha way out 'cause when I come too a stop if I have my turn signal, radio, and heater on the turn signal takes along time to blink and my volt meter goes right down and the RMP's go to like 100-300. As soon as I get moving or touch the gas it all picks back up to where it should be( the volt meter and RPM's & the blinker) Anyway my point is if my alternator is badd and it got heated up or ran for awhile could this be causeing the car to stall? I think alternator's have charging stages, and my charging stage when it is at idle is going (if not gone ) so that is why when it gets gas it picks back up because the second charging stage is ok.....does this sound like a bunch of bull shit or am I on to something here? My bro just got a multi-meter and it says it test's alternator's so I'm planing on doing that this weekend. Again any ideas, thoughts, or theroy's on this? Thanx guys :) ( sorry about the spelling)

thats is just the common sign of an alternator going bad....

do what i did. I baught a 160 Amp alternator for a syclone/typhoon and fabbed a bracket (it mostly bolts up) and that is running awesome... plus since it is such a high output alternator, i can power everything i have in my car and still not have to worry about working the alt. too hard, therefore prolonging the life of it.

- Justin

I don't think the alternator has charging stages. When you come to a stop you are drawing power out of the engine by using the power brakes, and without giving it any gas, the engine speed slows, and thus the belt turns slower and so does the alternator. When you leave the stoplight or whatever, you give the engine gas, and the belt turns the alternator faster, yielding more power. My alternator went earlier this summer, the surefire signs of an alternator going are a strobe like effect with the lights. When that happens go get a new alt asap. lol. it sucks when it goes.

btw, what engine is in your car? the 3.1 or 3100 is preferred if you are having alt trouble. its right on top. talk to redfox if you have a 3.4, he has most of the answers for that.

Naw I just got the 2.8 :( (but it's good on gas) I must have been really stoned last night because what I wrote makes no sense :lol: Sorry about wasteing space on here guys :)

it made since to me!!