powder coatings

4spdz34

would anyone here be interested in powder coated or ceramic coated anything for there car. i have all the stuff to do it, i'm just looking for a reason to. give me ideas of what you guys want

Depends how much you would charge. Theres a local place that does it for a good price, but if you can beat it, then heck yea. I would want all my engine bay braces done, my exhuast manifolds, my upper intake plenum, dog bone braces, and exhaust tips done.

sure, you can do my wheels, all yuo would have to do is come out to denver and bring all your equipment... i'll buy ya a beer or something.. hehe

i do need my wheels done though in white so im looking around for a local shop. What do you have to do it??? like what kinda equipment

- Justin

i do need my wheels done though in white so im looking around for a local shop.

Justin, If you need to know... There's a place call Keystone (not the ski resort) in Denver.

They did my Cutlass 5-spokes. Turn out really well; might want to look into it.

- Erik

Heh Heh, I can get lots of shit done for free, big stuff will be cheap......and it's done professionally at the machine shop i work at 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

Hook me up.

What'd u got?

I know a guy that works in that department, he said anything small - he'd hook me up for free. I havn't taken advantage of this offer yet, havn't had anything to powdercoat yet.

Heh Heh, I can get lots of shit done for free, big stuff will be cheap......and it's done professionally at the machine shop i work at 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

Hook me up.

What'd u got?

I know a guy that works in that department, he said anything small - he'd hook me up for free. I havn't taken advantage of this offer yet, havn't had anything to powdercoat yet.

What color is the powercoating? I want my dogbones done, my cross braces done(if you consider those small), and i would pay to have my stb done.

i do need my wheels done though in white so im looking around for a local shop.

Justin, If you need to know... There's a place call Keystone (not the ski resort) in Denver.

They did my Cutlass 5-spokes. Turn out really well; might want to look into it.

- Erik

what kinda money??? did they do the prep or would i have to???

also, PM me sometime, i have a few things to chat with ya about....

- Justin

What color is the powercoating? I want my dogbones done, my cross braces done(if you consider those small), and i would pay to have my stb done.

Basically any color you want. I want my STB, Calipers and maybe some others White.

They run mostly black all the time, it cost $5 a foot on the line to run parts and to change colors they have a 15 foot gap on the line.....so thats alot of money that they aren't running through it. they only change away from black when they have a big production order of a different color, or they charge the customer for the money they would be losing....make sense?

So if i want something other than black or the regular red, white, blues, yellows and such, i'd have to wait untill they run that color cause i'm not gonna pay all the extra money to switch colors.

How much to strip/sandblast and powdercoat some front strut/knuckle assemblies? I've been meaning to call some local places... but then I realized I don't know of any local places.

Is it even safe to powdercoat a strut, or will the fluid expand and explode when exposed to heat?

I dont think powdercoating the strut itself is wise, because you aren't supposed to heat them up at all. The knuckles however would be good. I wanto have mine done with the control arms for next year.

At my job, i don't know if the strip/sandblast, if they do it would definately be cheaper to do it yourself. The powder is electrostatically charged with the bare metal.....so it sticks. Then it goes into the furnace (350 degrees or so) and it is baked on there........so no, shocks would not be a good thing to do!

I dont think powdercoating the strut itself is wise, because you aren't supposed to heat them up at all. The knuckles however would be good. I wanto have mine done with the control arms for next year.

Yeah, I didn't figure, but I've never seen a "maximum allowable temperature" spec on shocks and struts so I had to wonder.

I want to powdercoat the knuckles, but since they still have good low-mileage factory struts in them, I don't know if they can be removed without destroying them. I know some of that hydraulic fluid is sure to get lost.

If I do find a local powdercoater, what do you think is a max I should pay to get two knuckles coated?

From what I've heard, there is a process of getting off all the rust/paint/shit thats on your parts before the powercoating/ceramic coating process, that they don't sandblast because it actually structurally weakens the product. Can someone verify this?

From what I've heard, there is a process of getting off all the rust/paint/shit thats on your parts before the powercoating/ceramic coating process, that they don't sandblast because it actually structurally weakens the product. Can someone verify this?

Um....Ya....Sand it down by hand :lol:

If we were to take you up on this offer, would the parts need to be prepped before you got them or is that part of the deal????

Maybe I missed this part, and sorry if I did!

You talkin to me Bake, or 4spdZ34?

To Aweb80:

Well if you could hook me up with my support braces powdercoated blue, that would be sweet, for free or cheap, that would be awesome, and yah do I need to have the stuff hand sanded?

To 4spdZ34: How much would you charge to have it done? and would the parts need to be sanded down and such?

Either way I could potentially have alot of stuff to be done, considering I do have a winter car now I can park my cutlass for the winter and wait on these parts to get powder coated! let me know, thanks!

dont know about everybody else, but basically this is how I charge:

I have a $25 minimum order, cause its not worth my time otherwise.

any smallish item.. steering knuckles, strut supports, dogbones or dogbone brackets, strut plates etc. $25 for pair raw, $35 if i gotta blast it.

if you get more than any 2 items done at the same time (2 strut braces and 2 strut covers) ill do them for $20 a pair. More items means more price break. Larger items (rims and such range from $20 to $35 EACH) I cannot do any rim larger than 16". $5 extra charge per part if I gotta strip paint $15 if i gotta strip pre-existing powder (if you've ever had to do this, you'd know why)

My prep process for every item I coat:

must be bare metal by either newness or blasting

part is hand washed in hot soapy water to remove dirt/grease/blast media

part is pre-baked @ 400º for 10 minutes if a cast material (iron/aluminum/magnesium)

parts are then hand cleaned with a solvent to remove all traces of dirt or grease.

Part is powder coated, then baked at 400º for 20 minutes.

Colors I can do in gloss:

clearcoat

black

blue

red

white

green

any color of the rainbow

Colors I can do in matte texture:

black minitex

black semigloss wrinkle

Colors in metallic:

blue

silver

purple

black metallic

any other color of rainbow

Chrome colors:

bright chrome

black smoke chrome

Candy colors: (these will be $5 more per part since its 2 step)

purple

red

blue

orange

green

Pics of what i have done for people and myself in the past:

http://www.60degreev6.com/GPXSS/pcoat/