Rust-Oleum Epoxy "Stops Rust" Rattle Cans

white4d96

Anyone used them?

I use the white for all sorts of stuff on my car, but on one can of paint (that's still pretty full mind you) I've gone through 4 tips. They clog within like 2 minutes of spraying. I've tried heating the can in warm water, hot water, out in the sun all day, no change. Anyone got any protips?

I believe that. To be honest though I'm mostly using it for accent bits and parts like my STB's. I did try using it after grinding down some rust in my LR wheelwell and it came back. And it doesn't want to stick to the flash rusted floorpan.

What to use on rusty metal then?

POR-15. From what I hear, it's expensive as shit, but works like a charm.

It's rattle can paint, not some miracle spray. I wouldn't say it stops rust so much as it hides it. However, as far as rattle can paint goes, I believe it is of decent quality. I have used both their rusty metal primer and paint after sandblasting trailers/rims and am happy with the results. Not a fan of their automotive primer, rub up against it and it comes off.

I believe that. To be honest though I'm mostly using it for accent bits and parts like my STB's. I did try using it after grinding down some rust in my LR wheelwell and it came back. And it doesn't want to stick to the flash rusted floorpan.

POR-15. From what I hear, it's expensive as shit, but works like a charm.

use POR15

[/thread]

What they all said. POR15.

Then paint it over with a rattle can. Shit won't rust again. Its one of very few options. I need to get a can of the stuff myself.

yeah, I used this on my bonneville under the cladding where it had surface rust. I checked it a year later and it was starting to come back, so I had to re-do it. Doesn't seem to penetrate rust that well.

I agree with POR15 followed by a top coat for rusty spots. If it's a light rust with no pitting, then a good clean and paint probably wouldn't be bad. but not deep stuff

The thing with rust preventers, unless you remove the rust before you apply it, all you are doing is trapping the rust in underneath. Rust is still there, it will continue to spread.

You need to remove the rust before you put any sort of coating on the part.

You could always try a rust converter. I have RustMort... it is some nasty smelling costic shit, but it seems to work pretty well. You can find it at just about any autobody store. I have a gallon bottle, which ran me about $50 (expect to pay more though). It recommends you brush it on but I've had better results with putting it in a spray bottle. This stuff doesn't work miracles on metal that is already gone though.

I'm mostly using it after I've attacked surface rust with a wire wheel.

I will look into POR15, has anyone used that new Eastwood frame coating stuff? I saw it in a Hot Rod ad a while back.

I'm mostly using it after I've attacked surface rust with a wire wheel.

I will look into POR15, has anyone used that new Eastwood frame coating stuff? I saw it in a Hot Rod ad a while back.

Yes, RustMort you wire brush the heavy scale off, and then spray/brush it on the surface rust. Then I usually paint Rustoleum paint ON TOP of that. And they do sell RustMort in quart size bottles as well, not sure how much they are though. SEM makes it.