Steering probs

RomeoZ34

Alright, when I turn, it knocks. I can feel it in my steering wheel. I replaced both front axels, and its still there. However, the axels did need replaced so I am glad I did it. The ball joints, tie rod ends and rack and pinion unit are new. So is the p/s pump. It feels and sounds like a pop, and I have no idea what it is, any thing else I should check out? Maybe the bolts on the rack and pinion are loose? Also, I hit my steering wheel when I got mad and broke the tilt on it, so it sticks almost straight up, any idea on how to fix it? Thanks guys!

mine does that too... does it sound like it is coming from the passenger floorboard??? i think it may be your subframe... mine has done that ever since i had to replace my subframe bolts... just a thaught, lemme know where the sound is coming from.

- Justin

Well usually the easiest way to determine a bad CV Joint is by listening for the exact sounds that you mention. So, I'm guessing that's your problem.

However, I thought that replacing the Axles ALSO replaced the CV Joints because the CV Joints are INSIDE the Axle? At least that's what I thought?

The ONLY other thing that can really make any type of similar noise is Wheel Bearings on their way out the door.

And if it IS the Wheel Bearings, you want them replaced ASAP!

mine does it to, and has done it for about 6 months, i've replaced tie rod ends and ball joints. does your steering wheel have paly in it? if my car is off or running i can get about 1 inch of movement out of my steering wheel befor ethe tires will move. lately mine feels like it does it when i'm going really slow and hit the brakes very lightly. its so annoying

Mine does that too. One day it just started, no effect on play, steering feel or anything. Just that little clunk, usually when the wheel is near center.

I just added it to the noises to ignore because they don't do anything list for my car. :roll:

alright cutty's...

mine had the same problem, i hav a 96 2dr coupe..

i was drivin home makin a left turn and the car wouldnt really turn and went right into a curb, anyway over 2000 worth of damage, nothing to the body just to the underneath

before that i kept hearing the samee noise, check it out... juss in case it gets worse

i had to have a new sub frame, because my sub frame was bent, causing a sound... basically like something would be rolling around in the trunk, but comin from the front when i turned.

i had to also get my axle or whatever replaced (yea sorry guys i dont know all this mechanic talk, but i did need alot of crap underthere including that damn sub frame.)

check it out

its funny too because afterwards we heard on the news that the nhtsc (whatever that is) is looking into a recall for gm cars including cuttys with steering problem underneath...

i probably dont make any sense so blah

but yea, i heard that noise until they got a new sub frame in

CV joints are in the axels, thats what I replaced was the CV joints, but O'reilys just sells the whole axels. I'll check the wheel bearings and subframe. Where are the wheel bearings and how would I check them? How would I check the subframe too?

Yep mine creaks or clunks and it's starting to piss me off. The steering wheel also has about a half-inch of play and the wheels are straight when the steering wheel is slightly to the left just enough it bothers me. This all started about 6 months ago.

Group Ref.: Steering/Suspension

Bulletin No.: 333210A

Date: December, 1993

SUBJECT:

STEERING COLUMN POPPING NOISE (REPLACE UPPER BEARING INNER RACE SEAT)

MODELS:

1992-93 PASSENGER CARS EXCEPT CHEVROLET CAVALIER, GEO AND PONTIAC LEMANS

1992-93 LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS EXCEPT GEO TRACKER

This bulletin is being re-published to add the labor time for Labor Operation Number E7310.

Vehicles affected have TILT steering columns (round style) with the exception of the "W" series (square style).

CONDITION:

Some owners of vehicles with integral TILT steering columns may hear a pop noise when turning. The noise occurs specifically when the driver is making normal steering turns in either direction and generally when the steering wheel is returning to center.

CAUSE:

The upper bearing inner race seat under certain conditions may cause a pop noise. The part may have a burr on the inside skirt.

CORRECTION:

To verify that the upper bearing inner race seat is the cause of the pop noise in the steering column, use the following method:

1. Engage the park brake and start the engine.

2. Point the wheels of the vehicle straight ahead.

3. While listening for a pop noise, rotate the steering wheel in either direction to the wheel stop. Slowly return the wheel back to center. If the noise is not heard, drive the vehicle at a slow speed listening for the noise to occur.

Important: When the steering column is warm, the pop noise will be more audible.

4. If a pop noise is heard, replace the upper bearing inner race seat with P/N 7815184. Return the steering wheel back to center with the wheels of the vehicle pointed straight ahead. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to "LOCK" position and then begin the repair. Refer to Section 3F5A/3F5B in the Service Manual to replace the upper bearing inner race seat.

thankyou alldata online