Draining Radiator and T-stat question

grandprix104

#1 How on earth do you drain the coolant out of a 3100? I cant find a drain plug anywhere cause the lower frame piece is in the way.

#2 How difficult is it to replace the t-stat? Can someone give me a full procedure.

Thanks

The thermostat will take you 10 minutes to replace. Just pop off the thermostat housing, remove the old thermostat and plop a new one in. You can use the gasket that came with the new thermostat or you can use special high-heat silicone on the thermostat housing. Either way, just pop the thermostat housing back on and tighten the two bolts. Some people mention that you should drain your rad a bit before doing this, but I don't bother. You shouldn't have a problem either, since you're already changing the fluid.

We have put them in at the garage on the 3100s and its about a 30 min job. I dont why GM screwed with them in the first place its a whole lot easier on a 3.1 and 2.8 about a quick 5 min job for them. Good luck on that knuckle buster. :D

so anyone got pics of the t-stat location on the 3100?

here are some of the 3.1 in my 90 cutty.

http://www.dbfanatics.com/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=wires&mid=16&cid=150&page=3

it is at the end of the top radiator hose that runs along side the airbox.

2-13mm bolts. as was said it is a quick simple swap. recomended to do this to a cool car.

Monty