Question - My top goes down unevenly. Why?

johnnyride

Hi all, probably a dumb question, but when I put my top down, the driver side goes down much slower. Same on the up, so I have to help it. Why? Are there seperate cylinders on each side? A leak, a bad cylinder? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks, john

There are separate cylinders on each side. First thing would be to check the fluid level in the pump. It's probably low, and since the pump sits more toward the passenger side, that may be causing an issue. Refill, then start looking for a leak.

John;

I've seen debates about this....but personally, I've always used ATF. Used it for years in convertibles without issues.

I should also have mentioned, get a helper, and make ABSOLUTELY sure the issue isn't something is bent/broken/binding. Watch the top while they raise and lower it..watch AND listen, just to make sure.

EDIT: If you're refilling the pump. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE you don't raise or lower the top with the plug out. It will make a HUGE mess. Don't ask me how I know--way too embarassing to explain.

• 2 weeks later...

He's right. Also, and others may disagree, don't fill the pump to the absolute full mark. There's a Full Line on the reservoir but it's hard to see. If you overfill and screw on the cap and (I can't recall if it's going up or down) you could blow the oring by having too much fluid. And, they are stretched and hard to put back. I would suspect binding or the unlikely cause- a fluid obstruction such as a kink or trash.