Question about FFP chip

john99gtp

I searched around a bit, to get some knowledge on how to install the FFP chip on my 3.1

Right now, i have the radiator overflow tank off, and found the ECM. There was one nut at the top that i could see, took that off, but my ECM will not budge. Is there a trick to doing this? Thanks for help in advanced.

John

Guest Anonymous

There should be a nut on top, one on the side, and one on the bottom. Pull it out and turn it over. You'll see 4 torx bolts.Take them out and remove the cover. Next you'll se the chip. Squeeze the sides in and pull straight out on it. Out the new one in and push firmly on each side until it snaps in place.

Crap. Now that my battery cable was pulled, that annoying tick-tock sound is back. Last time i had it, it disappeared after i replaced my alternator. Does anyone know what that is? Also, i have a little red light in my car, next to light switch, i dunno what it is, it was there when i got car. Before, that would shut off when i turned car on, now its on all the time. I think it goes hand in hand with tick-tock because the light did the same thing last time with tick-tock, and after replacing alternator, it behaved itself.

I just finished my idle re-learn, hoping that would take care of the noise and light, but it didnt. Oh well. Time to go test it out, as I have to goto school. If anyone knows anything about the noise, please let me know.

John

Question to all you others with the FFP chip.

Were you able to notice any power change? I drove from home to school, and did not see much, if any change at all. I followed instructions, and even did the idle relearn. I will have to see whats up, the only real way to tell is to probably goto the drags again, but i dont have any time this year, going to have to wait till next year. Lemme know what you think.

Also, my engine is a 3.1L MPFI if that makes a difference.

John

Question to all you others with the FFP chip.

Were you able to notice any power change? I drove from home to school, and did not see much, if any change at all. I followed instructions, and even did the idle relearn. I will have to see whats up, the only real way to tell is to probably goto the drags again, but i dont have any time this year, going to have to wait till next year. Lemme know what you think.

Also, my engine is a 3.1L MPFI if that makes a difference.

John

In normal everyday driving, you won't notice much if any. Once you go to the strip then you'll notice a little more power. They also turn "Lean Cruise" back on, if you had an ALDL monitor, you'd notice your air/fuel ratio increase to 18:1 or so on the interstate, means you'll get better gas mileage on the highway.

18:1! Its 15.4:1

heh.

Ya, im not to sure about the power, but going to have to wait till next week. one thing i noticed though, on the chip, looks like u identified my tranny as (4t)60E, i thought i just had the (4t)60 only. Hope that doesnt make a difference =/

so far all is well, except that damn tick-tock. grrr

John

I have had my chip in now since the beginning of the month. Might as well slip in a review here rather than staring a new thread.

First I actually have a question. Is my idle supposed to be about 100 rpms higher than stock? (I like it higher though, so no complaints). I never did an "idle relearn" just plugged and goooooooooooo. let it figure the idle out itself (only took a few mins) a couple times it idled at like 300 rpm, after I came to a stop, yet it was completely smooth at that speed and responded without hesitation to throttle input. it was weird and cool.

Man oh man I love the fan turning on at a REASONABLE TEMPERATURE GM! No more stareing at the temp gauge and hitting the ac button when I feel it is running too warm.

Fuel economy in mixed driving went from 19mpg to 17.6. HOWEVER, the last week has been much colder, and I have been drivinig around in D rather than OD. "testing" :wink:

As for power, I don't notice much during normal driving. But over maybe 70% throttle and 4000rpm, there's something more there. Made the hairs on my neck stand up after the 1-2 shift.

Its interesting. It almost seems as if the tq curve is the same up to 4000rpm, then after that it continues on up a bit further.

Hmm, that's all I can think of right now. Overall I am satisfied. :mrgreen:

tick tock? eh, sounds like remains of an old car alarm!@!

I wouldnt be surprised, since i got the car with a keyfob that a dog chewed. I have no idea about alarm systems or anything, all i know is that i have a light, and the ticking wont go away. I didnt think it would aggrevate me, but it is now. How do i make it stop. grrr

John

yank the alarm out. Or find it and pull the relay at least ( the sound you're hearing) as for the FFP chip I have one made for my '90 and it made a significant difference, and the engine was in fine condition

yank the alarm out. Or find it and pull the relay at least ( the sound you're hearing) as for the FFP chip I have one made for my '90 and it made a significant difference, and the engine was in fine condition

dumb question, like i said, im newb. but um, where do i yank it from? where is the alarm itself? the ticking sounds likes coming from the dash, but i can also hear it when i have the hood open.

like i said, i dont know much about car electronics. all i know is i would like to eventually put my car starter in too. but it appears as if 92turboLE has dissappeared.

John

I love my FFP chip. Best 120$ I ever put into a car. No limits, seems like I've gained power in all RPM ranges. I noticed the biggest difference with the 1-2 shift. There doesnt seem to be a dead spot going into second anymore. 1 complaint though is that the tranny shifts kinda mushy at WOT compared to how it used to shift REALLY fast. But this could be a good thing by not putting so much stress on the tranny b/c its shifting so fast and hard.

~ NicK ~

I have found this to be caused by an increase in shift RPM. If you want me to set the 1-2 shift back to stock, just send it back to me. Some cars responded better to it than others.

Ben is right... some cars are unaffected by increased shift RPM while others get a little mushy. At higher RPMs, the tranny pump can cavitate (which causes the oil foam)... as a result, the line pressure decreases and the shifts soften up. If you plan on doing frequent WOT shifts, send the chip back to me so i can set the shift points down just to be safe.

Alright. After running for a few days, I would have to say that now there is an increase in power, how much I dont know (I wonder if there is even a dyno in this state), and I cant goto the track either since i work way to much. I like the fact that I can rev in neutral and park, I tried it for the first time at work last night, and im like, "holy crap, no more crapping out at like 4000 RPMS". The car itself sounds meaner when it goes that high, and the power is definantly there in the higher RPM range. Next on the list is either mounts or UD pulley from FFP, just gotta wait for the check to come in :)

Thanks again FFP!

heh, I gotta update my sig too :)

John