Need help with dash 4x6 in 91 gp

valeck25

Hi guys I want to install kappa 4x6 in the dash but I know they won't fit cause its shallow there. I'm wondering if anyone has pic or ideas of how to do this. What's underneath the plastic of I cut away? Thanks

its hard to find a aftermarket 4x6 for the dash that fits without any hacking. I would rather go with a set of component 4"s and put the tweeters in the dash.

Crutchfield shows that about only a 1 3/4" top mounting depth speaker will fit. You could always make some kind of spacer to lift the speaker from the dash, but then you run into modifying the grill to cover it and not look like crap, also I have no idea how much clearance there is to the windshield. As for cutting what is under it, take out the old speaker and look? I would imagine either hvac duct work, wiring, or metal dash supports would be the main issue for clearance, but there might be enough wiggle room to get a deeper speaker installed. Fortunately, from what I can find, most Kappa 4x6s only exceed that limit by like 1/8-1/4", so even a spacer wouldn't stick out too badly.

As Garret mentioned though, you would likely be better off going components, as the speakers in the 4x6 plate are too small to really reproduce anything but the highs anyway. And with them being Kappas, you likely won't get the sound you want out of them if all you are using is a stock radio or an after-market without an amp. Kappa's tend to want more watts than either can provide, but then so would components..