Help me with my stereo!!!

phantomshado

I have just installed a 325W amp with a 10" sub in my car, but I don't want to run the power off the cars battery, so I picked up another battery to mount in the trunk incognito. How do I wire it so the amp will work???? Everything else is wired the same as 99% of other systems, just the power supply is different. Help me please!!! Thanks.

Well, the system is wired exactly the same, but don't plan on listening to that sub for too long without recharging the battery. Why do you not want the amp running off the car power?

between the two cutlass's I've had (89 and my 94) I've gone through 4 alternators. I'd rather not alter anything now. Its working too well. LOL, ahh how sweet my life is.

you could also wire the the batteries in a series (not too informative on this) or buy another type of alternator (need to do some modding for that option) If i were you I would install a cap on the system or two or three. That way any draw the amp pulls on the system is buffered well. They also respond to current draw quicker than the battery can. Thus meaning more punch out of your system (generally)

buy a cap that will take off less wear on the alt.

That isn't exactly a true statement. As soon as the cap releases it's energy, it needs to recharged as well, becoming a load on the alternator.

Your best bet is to buy a high quality battery and make sure the Alt is up to the job. This last alt I put in has lasted over 5 years. My lumina went through 3 before I got this one.

You could put in a battery isolator for the second battery, but all the isolators that I have witnessed tend to induce a voltage drop across them. Some on the order of half a volt.

how do I wire it? I can't just run one wire from the battery in the back to the amp, can I? Can anyone give me a schematic for what I'm talking about? Thanks.

how do I wire it? I can't just run one wire from the battery in the back to the amp, can I? Can anyone give me a schematic for what I'm talking about? Thanks.

To use the 2nd battery, just wire positive to positive and negative to negative. I would suggest buying a battery case as you don't want the battery floating around in the trunk.

you could also wire the the batteries in a series (not too informative on this) or buy another type of alternator (need to do some modding for that option) If i were you I would install a cap on the system or two or three. That way any draw the amp pulls on the system is buffered well. They also respond to current draw quicker than the battery can. Thus meaning more punch out of your system (generally)

NO! BAD! NEVER SERIES! NO NO NO NO! you could fry all the electronics in your car! you want parallel, not series.

series is what discmen and stuff use, to turn two 1.5V batteries in to a 3V batter...

12 + 12 = 24V

series goes like this: ground {battery} positive ---> negative {battery} ---> positive lead to car

parallel is: both negatives are grounded, and both positives are hooked together

i will reiterate teh question asked.

do you have the correct size alt?

hit up the local yellow pages to fine a place that can test it if in doubt.

where have you been buying your alts?

and i find it hard to beleive that small of amp has killed that many alts.

how much neon or other things do you have?

i have ran anywhere from a couple hundred to 1200 watts off of a stock alt and single battery under hood.

every car i have killed one alt. this summer i ran 2500 in the competition lanes with stock alt and either an acdelco platinum or an optima yellow top. alt still kicking fine.

i do want a much larger alt though, but i have not had cash yet for that.

i see some other issues as well. if the battery you plan on running down and then recharging is not a deep cycle then it will not last verry long at all.

if you plan on multiple batteries then it is best to buy them all at the same time or verry close together.

if one is new and one is old then they will fight each other.

an isolator is a good idea for smaller systems with multiple batteries.

there are many batteries that are aimed at car audio setups. many of them will charge and discharge faster than a typical battery. which is good for car audio.

caps are bandaids for poor electrical systems.

skimping on wire size or poor wire routing is just asking for trouble

Monty

i hope this will help ilistrate series and parellel for ya

http://science.howstuffworks.com/battery4.htm

i dont recomend doing this is really pointless unless you want to listen to your stereo for hours i mean hours without haveing your car running.

i would just setup stationary box for your battery, run the positive to positive on the amp and negative to negative on the amp. since the powerflow will not fluxuate up and down there will be no need for a cap. Just run your remote wire to your cd player and RCA to the headunite.. thats basicly it. haveing 400watts or less on your standard car electrical system isnt that bad. You probably wont even notice a powerdrain expericaly since your only pushing a 10"sub.