3800 5 Speed 282 swap complications

xtremerevolution

Problem is, the INTENSE kit is $180 (plus shipping), and you still need the oil filter relocation kit, so you're looking at nearly $250 just to make it work. Sorry, but that's not cheap and I'm going to make every effort to find a more affordable solution while I still have time to do the research. Right now I'm looking at a cost of $500 for just this stupid oil filter remedy and the clutch, and another $100 for the fork for the transmission, plus axles and a mount. Never thought a 5 speed swap would be so damn expensive.

It just expensive to do a transmission swap. My 5speed swap cost $1500 plus i probably spent another $1000 on random shit i replaced while it was all apart. I have a problem :)

As for the adapter issue no matter what you do its a slight gamble. L67's are apparently very sensitive about their oil filter adapters.. Rob didnt have luck with any of his set ups.

This might have been robs oil pressure issues

I just texted him. He said he always used the stock spring.

Edited by gpchris

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• gpchris

• BXX

• mra32

It just expensive to do a transmission swap. My 5speed swap cost $1500 plus i probably spent another $1000 on random shit i replaced while it was all apart. I have a problem :)

As for the adapter issue no matter what you do its a slight gamble. L67's are apparently very sensitive about their oil filter adapters.. Rob didnt have luck with any of his set ups.

In what way do you mean that rob didn't have any luck with any of his set ups? Could it be possible that he used a different oil filter adapter and forgot to change that spring as well?

I know people have done this successfully before. There are at least a dozen L67 5 speed swaps out there. Did they all really use the Intense adapter?

Bob may still have the L27 sitting in his garage, at which point he will have the OFA I'm talking about and may be able to bolt it to his L36 along with the 282 and tell me if it would work.

Read my edit above

That was his problem :)

Wait, so that was indeed the reason he was having issues? Just want to make sure, lol, because I have absolutely no idea what OFA he tried to use from what car. Can you confirm that the reason he was having the problems he was having was because he was using the stock spring the whole time on an OFA from a different car? I just want to make 100% sure, lol.

Edited by xtremerevolution

Yeah he tried a bunch of different setups but always got crazy oil pressure readings and went thru 2 motors because of it. He just told me via text that he never swapped out the spring. So if you can find an adapter that clears the axle just use the spring for that adapter and you should be good.

Yeah he tried a bunch of different setups but always got crazy oil pressure readings and went thru 2 motors because of it. He just told me via text that he never swapped out the spring. So if you can find an adapter that clears the axle just use the spring for that adapter and you should be good.

Haha, that's great news (for me at least). I'm glad I went over to the fiero boards to ask questions.

andrie, both your L27 and my L36 are tore completely down. Your old ofa didn't survive your block sitting on it lol.

Aaaaw. :(

I guess I'm making a trip to the junkyards when the weather gets better.

Unfortunately, it may be a very long time before this car gets the 5 speed swapped. I discovered the reason why my 4T65E is acting up, and its actually a simple matter of getting a 2003 PCM put in place of the 1999 PCM, since the 2003 4T65E PCS communicates on a different frequency and has a completely different calibration than previous years. The owner of Sinister Performance is in the process of configuring a tune for me on a 2003 PCM and will be shipping one out. He mentioned that I'm not the first to have this exact same problem with trying to get an 03 4T65E to work with a 98-99PCM and end up having to go with a 2003 PCM. Great thing is, he uses TunerCat OBD2 so he can disable VATS so the PCM should be a direct bolt in and go. He has verified that the pinouts diagrams for both PCMs are identical so I won't need to make any changes. $149 shipped with insurance, and that includes 30 minutes of in-person tuning when I decide to go down there, and $65 an hour after that. Considering it shouldn't take him more than an hour or two to tune if he's experienced (which I imagine he is) and the fact that he will be tuning with a wideband O2, I think this is the most logical route at this point.

Bob, I imagine this 1999 PCM I currently have might be of some use to you considering it has $100 worth of HPTuners credits on your account registered to its VIN.

It may be of some use, but im not willing to spend money on it:lol: Lord knows how long it will sit on my shelf collecting dust until I have use for it. Right now LX9s are way to cheap to not swap and play with so L67 is on the way way back burner.

And sounds like he's giving you a damn nice deal:thumbsup:

It may be of some use, but im not willing to spend money on it:lol: Lord knows how long it will sit on my shelf collecting dust until I have use for it. Right now LX9s are way to cheap to not swap and play with so L67 is on the way way back burner.

And sounds like he's giving you a damn nice deal:thumbsup:

Yeah, he sure is. I might just hang onto the PCM for shits and giggles. I'm sure it would do very well as a spare for the Regal GS we're getting Kristina. Considering how easy as hell it will be to get those headers in the proper car, I might just dump the $200 and get another 3.4 pulley now that I have the puller too. I have a spare cone air filter as well, just need to get the plumbing. I can haz two fast 13 second Regals?

2 13second Regals would be win:thumbsup:

my soon to be LX9 may not be fast, but good luck catching me in the corners:thumbsup::lol:

You forget that I still have some mods that you haven't gotten yet (poly control arm bushings), and all you have on me is solid lateral links and trailing arms. You're going to need a bit more than that to get an edge on me.

One day we'll have some fun at a real track. :thumbsup:

You forget that I still have some mods that you haven't gotten yet (poly control arm bushings), and all you have on me is solid lateral links and trailing arms. You're going to need a bit more than that to get an edge on me.

One day we'll have some fun at a real track. :thumbsup:

On order:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130476877695

You fail to realize the tires I can get and will run....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-11&partnum=24WR8RE11XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

So yeah, we'z gonna have fun summer 2013:thumbsup: I also have an alignment rack at my disposal to tweaking and getting optimal alignment settings...

On order:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130476877695

You fail to realize the tires I can get and will run....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-11&partnum=24WR8RE11XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

So yeah, we'z gonna have fun summer 2013:thumbsup: I also have an alignment rack at my disposal to tweaking and getting optimal alignment settings...

Yeah you'll have me on the tires. I could never afford tires that soft for a daily driver. That 180 treadwear grade puts you in a completely different class when you want to autocross around here as they're basically considered slicks. I think the cutoff for street tires is 200 before they put you in a different bracket. I'll probably end up with something closer to 400 or 500 as I drive this car 30k miles a year and I really can't afford to dump much more money into this car.

Yeah you'll have me on the tires. I could never afford tires that soft for a daily driver. That 180 treadwear grade puts you in a completely different class when you want to autocross around here as they're basically considered slicks. I think the cutoff for street tires is 200 before they put you in a different bracket. I'll probably end up with something closer to 400 or 500 as I drive this car 30k miles a year and I really can't afford to dump much more money into this car.

I'll still end up rolling myu 17"s with a good summer tire for DD duties, the RE-11's on 18"s would be for times I really wanna have fun:lol:

Im prolly gonna get the Bridgestone Potenza RE-760s for DD duties.

I'll still end up rolling myu 17"s with a good summer tire for DD duties, the RE-11's on 18"s would be for times I really wanna have fun:lol:

Im prolly gonna get the Bridgestone Potenza RE-760s for DD duties.

I guess the same applies here. $1000 in tires and another $500-$700 for 18" rims just to go around a track a couple times a year is way too much money to spend. I guess you'll have a better handling car after all.

:lol::lol: But ill still end up wif a 15 second car...

Im about to not order the tubing bender (got a call, its two weeks out due to demand) and get a set of 18"s now. Tirerack has some nice ones for $99 each:dance:

:lol::lol: But ill still end up wif a 15 second car...

Im about to not order the tubing bender (got a call, its two weeks out due to demand) and get a set of 18"s now. Tirerack has some nice ones for $99 each:dance:

Got some enormous brakes to clear?

I run the 200 treadwear Hankook Z212's on the TGP, and that is plenty soft for DDing (I only put 1000 kms a year on the thing) But the tires are far and away the best handling mod done to that car.