3800 5 Speed 282 swap complications

xtremerevolution

There are a couple of problems that I have found 0 definitive answers for. Everyone seems to beat around the bush or send me to a thread that contains absolutely nothing but how some guy spent $300 getting something fabricated and having it fail, or how someone used something another car that they never mention what car, or so on and so forth.

I need to know:

Is there an issue with clearance on the oil filter adapter for the L67 when bolting a 282, and if there is, how do I get around it.

Will the stock trans to block bracket/mount work, or will I have to modify it or fabricate my own. If I have to modify or fabricate, is it particularly difficult or involved?

I bought Bob's transmission which doesn't have the shift fork, and a new one is $100 plus shipping. I'd prefer to cut that cost if possible and fabricate my own. Is that possible, or do I absolutely need to buy a new one?

I understand that I need a 3800 flywheel from a M/T f-body, and that I need to have it machined. To what spec do I need to have it machined?

Have I missed anything that will complicate this swap?

Edited by xtremerevolution

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• gpchris

• BXX

• mra32

Ask Jeff. (kuntzie)

Yes there is oil filter adapter issues.

Yes you need to have the flywheel machined.

Jeff hasn't been around here very often, and last I talked to him about the OFA, he said he used one from a Buick Reatta. Like hell if I'm going to see one of those in a junkyard any time soon...

I believe the Flywheel has to be machined to .84"

Stock trans to block bracket I don't believe fits and needs to be fabricated. Do you know how to weld? If so, shouldn't be hard. If not, make friends with someone who can.

You could look into a remote oil filter kit instead of the adapter. Should be able to find one on Summit.

Clutch fork seems important to me, so I would probably spend the $100 on it if it were me. You could check to see if other 282's had it (beretta, GA, etc) or if you can find one at a yard.

Check out the fiero sites too, as they have done the 3800->282 before. fiero.nl comes to mind first.

The intermediate shaft to block bracket has to be made. I made my own simply because factory aluminum ones break. I finished it and painted it up in like an hour.

The ofa can be used from a reatta but it has to be a certain year. It's kind of hard to find. The only other safe option is the intense racing ofa but it's like $150.

The fork can be made but it would be difficult. I myself wouldn't attempt it but it could be done.

You can not use oil filter relocation kits. They screw on like an oil filter and when the oil filter itself hits the axle then so does the relocation adapter. I've seen some frankenstien relocation kits used but I wouldn't recommend it. Do it right. Go with intense or the reatta (if it clears the subframe) - your only 2 choices. Unless you want to half ass it.

I'm going to need a lot of luck finding something like that in a junkyard! Seriously, the only other option is getting the intense version? Every single 3800 with a 5 speed bolted to it went one of those two routes?

that looks JUST like my 97 H body OFA.

That picture... what subframe is that out of? it does not appear to be a 1g w body. I don't think that OFA would work in a 1g subframe because of how the 3800/3.1/3x00 mount to the cradle, the mount/cradle would be nearly directly in the way.

You could also cut off the filter mount and weld on some hose adapters. Most people take a oil filter relocation kit and grind it down until there's a mm between the axle and the adapter. Half the time they grind too much and it goes thru.

You could also cut off the filter mount and weld on some hose adapters. Most people take a oil filter relocation kit and grind it down until there's a mm between the axle and the adapter. Half the time they grind too much and it goes thru.

any pictures of someone who has done this? Does the axle interfere with the oil filter, or with the adapter itself?

IIRC, Chris, that setup you just posted pictures for only "kinda" worked, right? It cleared the axle and all, but didnt really work with the oil pressure. If im seeing correctly, it looks like a plate was welded on after some of it was cut/ground away. It looks like there could have been some bridging between the inlet and outlet which might have screwed with things. Dunno.

I would just get the Intense kit and not mess with modding a stock OFA. One screwup or mishap and a new engine will be needed in short order:thumbsup:

Problem is, the INTENSE kit is $180 (plus shipping), and you still need the oil filter relocation kit, so you're looking at nearly $250 just to make it work. Sorry, but that's not cheap and I'm going to make every effort to find a more affordable solution while I still have time to do the research. Right now I'm looking at a cost of $500 for just this stupid oil filter remedy and the clutch, and another $100 for the fork for the transmission, plus axles and a mount. Never thought a 5 speed swap would be so damn expensive.

I believe this is factory with a relocation kit made to work:

ofa2.jpg

AND heres the intermediate shaft bracket on a 3800

173f2fdb.jpg

That bracket looks stupid easy to make. Now I can finally see what I'm supposed to be doing here.

Regarding the OFA, is it then the axle that doesn't clear it? The intermediate shaft seems to be fine from all of the pictures. I really cannot tell where the actual issue is.

thought you looked through this thread?

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/35183-Rob-s-L67-282-swap-progress-thread-TAKE-2/page2?highlight=swap

- Progress update -

I damaged the oil pan, an idler pulley, and the rear valvecover on transporting it home. I still need a pan, pulley I have extras and nice brand new shiney valve covers have been ordered off ebay for $22 shipped. :mrgreen:

Steps left before motor installation:

• Fabricate THIRD oil filter adapter prototype
  • Create engine to trans bracket
  • Find oil pan for cheap

Oil filter adapter (OFA) progress:

:rolleyes: This shit is getting rediculous, and I still don't even know if I will be getting correct oil pressure with this. This is my 3rd design idea. After this I dont know what else to do. I got a spare unmolested OFA from the yard which I will use to do tests. I will run the engine with orginal OFA and obtain oil pressure specs at cracking, idling, and various rpms. I will then install my new OFA & crank first before starting to check pressure, then if thats okay I will let it start and check the pressure readings against the unmodified ofa. Pics of my nightmare & clearance issues:

img0308at8.jpg

img0309qh9.jpg

bottom bolt is in the way

img0313ob0.jpg

whoops, went too far. should be just enough where it is. back to the welding place.

img0321pe2.jpg

even the bolt itself needed convincing

img0320oi8.jpg

I found a place that does 'mobile welding'...hopefully I wont have to drop more than a bill on getting them to come here n make me a bracket. More to come mon or tues

Yeah, that finally makes sense. So its the axle that has fitment issues. I had seen that thread before but I don't recall seeing an update as to what worked and what didn't in the end, and what the final product was.

I found some resources that I might try to look at. Can anyone comment on whether or not any of these will resolve this problem? http://www.gmtuners.com/swap/3800.htm

The second one from my L27 might work?

3800-compatible Oil Filter Adapters

Below are some examples of the different oil filter adapters GM makes that will work with the 3800 Series I and II, as well as the 3300 and 3.0L V6 90 degree engines.

3.0V6filter.jpg

This adapter can be found on 85-87 N-body (Grand Am) cars on the 3.0L 90 degree V6 engine. This adapter will clear the 4T60/440T4 auto transmission (not tested on the 4T60-E or 65-E), and puts the oil filter right next to the oil drain plug. Because of ground clearance, only the PF47 (short) style oil filter can be used.

w-bodyfilter.jpg

This adapter can be found on 3800 (series I and II) equipped w-body cars. This style routes the filter above the right CV axle.

c-bodyfilter.jpg

This adapter can be found on some Full-size GM cars equipped with the 3800 engine. This design routes the filter right next to the crank balancer above the cradle frame rail. Because of space constraints, you may only be able to use the PF47 (short) style filter.

h-bodyfilter.jpg

This adapter is most commonly found on H-body GM FWD cars like the 96 Olds Eighty-Eight. This design kicks the filter back towards the oil pan behind the balancer. This will work in the Fiero, however, if the use of the long style filter (PF52) is desired, you may need to cut away the left side cradle mount. If your exhaust is routed like the stock Fiero, you may also have issues in trying to use this adapter.

12569217.jpg

This oil filter adapter is from an F-body L36 3800. GM p/n: 12569217. Retail price is about $34. This adapter will offer plenty of clearance for most any Fiero swap although you may not be able to use the long PF52 oil filter due to clearance issues with the chassis frame rail.

saw this:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/105087.html

If the 3800 you are wanting to put that adapter on did not come with that same type be careful in your choice of spring for the oil pressure regulator that slides into the timing cover where that piece mounts on. I learned this lesson the hard way.

The spring has to be the one designed for the adapter in the pic you posted. If you use a spring from a longer style adapter your oil pressure will not be regulated properly and there is a good chance the oil pressure will be so high it will push the rubber seal on the oil filter out of the way and leak from the filter area like crazy.

I swapped a 3800 from a 94 Lesabre to a 94 Regal and I had to change that adapter for the swap to work. Well I have never seen so much oil come out of a motor so fast. It turned out that I had used the oil pressure regulator spring from the longer adapter by mistake and I had a heck of a mess of oil all over my garage floor after only a few seconds of running the motor. I figured it out but it took some head scratching before I realized what the problem was. The oil pressure was so high it also pushed the O ring out of the body of the oil pressure sending unit. I have never seen that happen before.

This might have been robs oil pressure issues

saw this:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/105087.html

This might have been robs oil pressure issues

So basically, use the spring from the oil filter adapter that you're pulling, not from your current one? Where is this spring located?

Edit...its apparently behind a piston that's behind the OFA inside the block when you take the OFA off, and you need to use the one that came with the OFA you're using, in addition to an oil pressure gauge.