Window Problem

gpchris

Its probaby just my motor but here the issue. The window almost never has a problem going down but sometimes it wont go up. When you try to push it up by hand its locked.. Then when you hold the up button and push up it will go up by human force but not when your not holding the button. What are we looking at here? Motor? How hard is it to change? Is this something i can go cheap with or not?

and its kinda of a bitch to get change i took the door apart on my 1995. and put the door panel back on and said "ehh i dont need a window lol" And i had a motor that i found in my car. so i guess someone else thought the same thing you need to go get bolts. Drill the rivets out.

But YES its the motor my 1997 GTP did the Same thing i used to pull up with one hand and press the button with the other. if you change it. get silicone grease and lube up the tracks. so makes work easier on the motor.

A lot of the part store motors carry lifetime warranties and they hold up pretty well. If you have a diy junkyard nearby, you could always grab one from there if you want to go real cheap on the replacement. I would take a jump starter, drill battery, or something to test the motor with before buying a junkyard unit though. I have used two window motors from autozone in the past. I bought one in 2004 to replace the original one in my 1993 Grand Prix. It lasted six years before dying. It had a lifetime warranty on it, so autozone traded it out for me. They no longer carried the old brand that I had purchased, so they traded it out for the current motor they carried with a lifetime warranty. The new motor was cheaper than the old one, so they actually refunded me $8 and some change.

In my opinion, they're not very hard to change out. Get the window all the way in the up position if you can, then tape the glass to the door frame. I use blue painters tape to do this. Use plenty of tape to ensure the glass won't fall. Remove the door panel, drill out the four rivets holding the motor in(if it's a factory motor in there), then slide the whole assembly back towards the rear of the car until the little wheel that rides in the sash channel comes. Then manipulate the position of the whole assembly inside the door until you can pull it out through the opening there.

EDIT: If you go with an aftermarket unit, do yourself a favor & put a dab of medium strength locktite on the end of the bolts so the nuts + lock washers won't back off. I had to remove the door panel to tighten up that cheap hardware that came with my kit years ago. The rattling it makes when it comes loose will drive you crazy.

Edited by mfewtrail

Sounds fun. Why does everything stock have to be riveted? How about the door panel? How do I get it back on successfully? I see a lot of cars with loose door panels after people change window motors, I don't want to half ass it.

There are a bunch of Christmas tree clips and a few screws holding it on... Some of those clips might break when removing it... So you can pick up more of them to replace the ones that do

i replace them all when you take the door panel off. the new ones are gonna hold better and like 20 cents per clip at lowes, or wast lakes (small hardware store)