what would make?

stlunatics2oo3

An speedometer that is not working properly, that's what. What'd you do, get a ticket?

Only thing I can think of is my Dad's truck. Whoever owned it before put huge-ass wheels/tires on it, and this made it so the speedo was improperly calibrated. On some cars, the mechanic can just recalibrate it, while on others, recalibrating causes the car to act is if you've replaced the odo/speedo. (Which is not necessarily a bad thing, becase if you've been going 7 miles faster than you thought for very long, there are a significant amout of miles that the odometer doesn't know about.)

I highly doubt it's wheel size in your case, because his was anywhere from 5 - 10 mph off, and the tires were probably 2" larger than stock.

It could still be a miscalibration for some other reason, but I'd look into other possibilities.

nope stock size rims and tires it just started doin it i put a performance chip from ffp in it and it is thrown off iunno if it is caused by it but it is messed up

Oh, that has to be it. I don't know a lot about ECMs, but I know they basically run everything. Tell them it's wrong, they might make you a new one.

Why a performance chip? Did you do some other mods too?

My speedo says im 10mph more then reality all the time, doesnt this mean im racking up miles im not even driving? I'm thinking the rebuilt tranny a few years back might of messed up the VSS?

My speedo says im 10mph more then reality all the time, doesnt this mean im racking up miles im not even driving? I'm thinking the rebuilt tranny a few years back might of messed up the VSS?

I would say so, bro. That's how my dad's truck is. Of course, sometimes the speedo shuts off, and so does the odometer, so his is probably pretty balanced, lol :lol:

Don't you think that's how it would work? One sensor, am I right? Shawn? Erik? Someone either confirm my thinking or shoot it down, these people need to know.

I would say so, bro. That's how my dad's truck is. Of course, sometimes the speedo shuts off, and so does the odometer, so his is probably pretty balanced, lol :lol:

Don't you think that's how it would work? One sensor, am I right? Shawn? Erik? Someone either confirm my thinking or shoot it down, these people need to know.

I dont think the odometer uses what the speedo says to calculate miles. I think the odometer is run from the tranny, and based on how fast things in the tranny are turning

Doesn't the VSS go off of the transmission and that feeds into the speedometer which the odometer calculates how far the car is going by taking the speed of the car and comparing it with the time, maybe im just nuts and making up my own theory tho... :?

okay i will try that all i kno is i have 7 days to get it fixed or i get a ticket so i hope it is the chip and not the vss i figure it is to expensive

thanks

Jeremy

the speedo reads a voltage.. so messing with the computer probably got the alt- to charge the battery to a higher voltage causeing a missread in the speedo. not sure if its directly related but thats where i would start

The VSS is in your trans tailshaft. The ABS sensors are on the wheels, if you have ABS. Your speedo is reading slow because of your chip, that is your delayed speed limiter. Gay, isn't it. My chip did the same thing. Technically you can go faster than 117 now, but since your speedo is screwed up, what's the use? You won't know how fast you're going anyways.

call me crazy, but I think the VSS is on the rear brakes. I was doing work on my ABS a while back, and the VSS came up in my GM repair manual.

VSS is on the passenger front half shaft

well i am still confused about the speedo bein off never was until i got the chip can the chip make this happen ????

I definitely think the chip can make this happen.

i have put the old chip in and the speedo is correct so i went to the cops shop and had them check it and no more fix it ticket so the chip was bad thanks for all your input guys yall are the best