• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• visitor

• Garrett Powered

• slick

Magnet weight, while impressive, means jack. What is important is strength.

Very good point. The ferrite's gauss will determine it's strength, not physical size. And the coils parameters will help determine the usable motor force (bl)

You're going to be running one sub or two? Alpine Type R or Memphis C3 might work for you. Finding a SQ sub that can handle the kind of power you're going to be throwing at it is gonna be hard to find in your price range. I dont know much about that Image Dynamics sub, but seems like it might be a cheap brand. Plus you will be WAY overpowering it.

You're going to be running one sub or two? Alpine Type R or Memphis C3 might work for you. Finding a SQ sub that can handle the kind of power you're going to be throwing at it is gonna be hard to find in your price range. I dont know much about that Image Dynamics sub, but seems like it might be a cheap brand. Plus you will be WAY overpowering it.

I also have to consider that a lot of the subs we're talking about are underrated, and that my amp will definitely not have as much power at 2 ohm or 4 ohm. Its 1600W @ 1 ohm, 1100W @ 2 ohm, and 550W @ 4 ohm. I am planning on running just one sub. I already have a 12" Alpine R12 in a ported box in the Bonneville and I haven't been too horribly impressed. Its reliable and it takes the power, but I've heard better, especially at that price point

ID is an AMAZING SQ brand.

You gotta understand though, SQ and high-power don't fit in the same sentence really.

I do agree though, R's sound pretty good in sealed boxes.

I have heard that ID subs are absolutely amazing. One review I read a guy even hit 142db SPL with two of those in a ported box, which demonstrates that they can handle power. I've been told they are some of the most beautiful sounding subs you can buy for the money. I'd take one of those over an R10 or R12 easily.

I don't need gobs of SPL, but I also can't afford a new amp either. I could definitely get the dual 4 ohm version of any sub I pick up and at that point it wouldn't be as horribly overpowered, or wire up a dual 2 ohm sub to 4 ohm.

Edited by xtremerevolution

I've narrowed down my choices to two subs now. The only deciding factor will be which one I can afford once my two subs are sold.

$240 IDQ

http://www.woofersetc.com/p5807/IDQ10V3D4--Image-Dynamics-10"-IDQ-Version-3-Subwoofer.htm

$160 ID

http://www.woofersetc.com/p4993/ID10D4-V3--Image-Dynamics-10"-Dual-4-Ohm-V3-Subwoofer.htm

I will attest to JL stuff sounding AMAZING. But, you need the $$ to back it up. My two 12w6v2's are INCREDIBLE in a sealed box, and I have them each eating a consistent 6-700w daily.

The ID subs look pretty damn nice though. Just read as many reviews as you can and preferably LISTEN so some before you buy. That can be tough though.

I've decided on which one I'm going to pick up.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p5806/IDQ10V3D2--Image-Dynamics-10"-IDQ-Version-3-Subwoofer.htm

I'm going to wire that to 4 ohm so it will take 550W from my amp. I will get another one in the future and put them both in a sealed box and wire them both down to 2 ohm, which will take 1100W from my amp. Should be exactly where I want to be in regard to power.

Just scored an incredible deal.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/classifieds/93255-sundown-1500d-100-4-maybe-second-skin.html

Two 10" IDQ V2 subs for $200 shipped.

From gmforum:

The same could be said for Image Dynamics ID series subs too but let me tell you, those things were the most beautiful sounding subs I've ever had or heard in my life! They are extremely efficient (can make noise on as little as 50 watts rms, crazy for a sub rated at 400 rms), can bang out with the best of them and very musical. The sound quality of these things was mind blowing. And I only had the entry level ID series. So if SQ is your thing, I highly suggest you check out the Image Dynamics IDQ10. I promise you that you will not be disappointed!

I traded the Hifonics BXI 1610D amp for an Alpine MRP-M1000 amp. From what I keep hearing from people, the Alpine is a much better SQ amp, and it will be better suited for my power needs with these subs.

You're getting some nice stuff! Post pics of the stuff and the instal! How will you face the subs?

Rearward, facing the tail lights, against the back seats.

Sent from my HTC Magic using Tapatalk

Fair enough:) I thought for some reason you had rear seat delet

Yes I did, but they will still be in the trunk, lol. There still aren't any rear seats back there, but that doesn't affect anything.

Yes I did, but they will still be in the trunk, lol. There still aren't any rear seats back there, but that doesn't affect anything.

Oh I know I just thought you'd maybe face them forward. Anyhow, pics of the instal.. Some NICE stuff!

Oh I know I just thought you'd maybe face them forward. Anyhow, pics of the instal.. Some NICE stuff!

I had consider facing the forward to protect them from any luggage, but I had also heard that subs sound best when they're mounted right against the back seats facing toward the rear of the car.

I had consider facing the forward to protect them from any luggage, but I had also heard that subs sound best when they're mounted right against the back seats facing toward the rear of the car.

That is due to the wavelengths required to get the most audible noise out of the speaker, (audio wavelengths get longer the lower freq. You go!) facing forwards will only work well if you completely seal the trunk behind it off :) just a thought. I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what. Great subs!

Def facing backwards..You might rattle the trunk a little more but who cares about that..YOU listen to YOUR OWN subs in YOUR OWN CAR so who cares if it rattles. I have 2 15" Memphis MOJO (15-CM15D4C) Subs in a vented box in my 2004 Impala SS and besides having to "Criss Angel" the box into the trunk, once it was in, it fit like a glove. Each sub pumps out 1750 watts RMS each and match that with a complete hooked up electrical system that puts out 15.6v...My Sundown SAZ-1500D amp puts out 1800watts rms each and runs in 1ohm...I spent $400 layering my whole trunk with 3 layers of dynamat and it still sounds like soda cans on my trunk lid lol. You could hear the vibration but no rattling at all when I had 2 12" MTX 9500's or 2 12" Mojo's, 1 15" 9500 and 2 15" Mojos (the 1000w models) but soon as I got these new ones..they are stupid loud and there's no stopping the ratling..its like Michael Jackson and little kids...its a lost caust lol..sorry for my ADD but rear face is the way to go because when subs are pumpin full blast they sound like shit but when they arew faced backwards they sound good. I have a awesome condtion with no visual or mechancal impefections, 15" MTX 9500 Dual 4 ohm sub which will blow your doors off. Louder than a 13w7 and damn near just as good SQ..its just sitting around interested?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Lol, welcome to w-body.com.

Look back a bit, I just bought two Image Dynamics 10" subs. That will blow away anything you have in terms of pure SQ. I'm really past the phase of having something really loud. It got old after a while.

not to mention, who wants to take up all the damn trunk space with trying to get enough airspace for 15" flea market subs???

I hate hate hate big MDf boxes that you have to shoehorn in the trunk!!!!

not to mention, who wants to take up all the damn trunk space with trying to get enough airspace for 15" flea market subs???

I hate hate hate big MDf boxes that you have to shoehorn in the trunk!!!!

Id love to know your idea of "flea market subs" but Im afraid that would be off track and likely an argument :) extreme.. Hope you get it all in soo!