Help me find a SQ Sub!

xtremerevolution

I have a guy who wants to trade me two 12" Audiobahn subs in a sealed box and two 12" Kicker CVRs in a sealed box for the 15" Hifonics sub. Are Kicker CVRs any good as far as SQ subs go?

Edited by xtremerevolution

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• visitor

• Garrett Powered

• slick

I don't personally like them, but I've heard they sound alright in a light daily application (which is kinda what you're going for, right?

Right, I don't want pure SPL. I want a sealed box with an SQ sub. I think I'm going to pass on this guy's offer. I kind of want a 10" sub at around 700-800W RMS @ 2 ohms so it would fit under the RSTB and give me more trunk space.

Find you some old school Rockfords

Or the old Pioneer stuff, never fails. Back in the early 2000's (like 2002-2003), my neighbor had a set of 12's and one of 10's and he pushed those things beyond reasonable limits and they kept working flawlessly.

Kicker and SQ should never be used in a sentence together.

Want SQ, look at Focal, RE Audio, Exodus Audio, Fi Car Audio, higher end JL stuff can sound good.

I loved my RE Audio sub, and would gladly get another.

Remember though, your sub will only produce as good of sound dependent on:

-Type of box, and how well it is built

-A good quality amplifier (Some of the above brands also sell amplifiers)

-A good processor (sometimes just the HU, often times a good HU coupled with a good signal processor)

I thought you wanted SQ?

I take it that means that Sundown's subs are SPL.

I'll have a look around what other manufacturers have. Unfortunately all I can work with at this time is the sub. I'll have to keep my current amp, which is a Hifonics Brutus BXi 1610D, and the head unit, a Pioneer DEH-4000UB.

The SA series are decent for SQ from what I've heard. I do know they slam like no other, even in a sealed box.

When I say SQ I am using it more in the sense of daily 'sounds good' applications, rather than psycho-competitive-I NEED PERFECTLY FLAT RESPONSE TO 0HZ-SQ. FWIW.

Ok, here's what I've been looking at so far:

RE Audio $125

http://www.amazon.com/Sex10d2-Subwoofer-Technology-Components-Shipping/dp/B003PQ5WDG/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291133659&sr=1-5

Sundown Audio $180

http://www.amazon.com/SA-10-D2-Sundown-Audio-Subwoofer/dp/B003ZWFC12/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1291133634&sr=1-3

Focal is way out of my price range, and I can't find anything by Exodus or Fi online. I would consider used, but it would have to be local or insured.

Between those two, which would you guys recommend? I'm leaning toward the RE sub, but that's mostly because its cheaper. I'll be building my own sealed box for whatever sub I get.

I listed the dual 2 ohm versions of the subs. There are dual 4 ohm versions as well. Will there be a difference in which one I choose with the amp I'm using?

How much money do you want to spend?

Not more than what I can get from selling the Hifonics sub and a Diamond sealed 12" that I have lying around, so I'm guessing $200-$225 sounds reasonable. That includes the cost of building a sealed box.

Not more than what I can get from selling the Hifonics sub and a Diamond sealed 12" that I have lying around, so I'm guessing $200-$225 sounds reasonable. That includes the cost of building a sealed box.

Hmm.. They get some hate on the audio forums, but I've had good luck and good sq out of elemental designs. Maybe look into them :)

Hmm.. They get some hate on the audio forums, but I've had good luck and good sq out of elemental designs. Maybe look into them :)

They certainly don't look bad, but their cheapest 10" sub is $225, so its out of my price range. I'm trying to save trunk space here, lol.

I'm kind of disappointed that there's such a large gap in their pricing, from $125 to $225 and nothing in between, and the $125 sub is a 12" 500W sub.

Edited by xtremerevolution

They certainly don't look bad, but their cheapest 10" sub is $225, so its out of my price range. I'm trying to save trunk space here, lol.

I'm kind of disappointed that there's such a large gap in their pricing, from $125 to $225 and nothing in between, and the $125 sub is a 12" 500W sub.

11k v.2 I've used. It really does sound nice! A pair of those in a 1 cu. Ft sealed box would sound nice. Best of luck!

11k v.2 I've used. It really does sound nice! A pair of those in a 1 cu. Ft sealed box would sound nice. Best of luck!

Not bad. Two of those come with free shipping. I might consider that, as it would handle the power from this amp pretty well and would probably work better than a single Sundown sub.

Now I just need to find a way to fit them under the RSTB.

This is what I have in my Cutlass. It is much higher quality than the typical Pioneer....take a look at the MSRP and the magnet weight compared to the lower-end models. It handles 800 watts RMS.

What sold me on it is that it can work in a really small sealed box, and I wanted to make sure I could still get golf clubs in my trunk when the convertible top is down.

I have never pushed it, mostly because I'm old but also because my amp is a JBL GTO3501 (360 watts RMS). But even just turned up halfway it sounds surprisingly good to me for a 10".

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16664_Pioneer+Premier+TS-W2502D4.html

They also have a dual 2-ohm version.

If you buy it, be careful with the mounting diameter. I bought a box off of ebay and I needed to expand the hole by about 1/8 of an inch for this sub to fit.

Thanks! I'll take that into consideration.

I discovered that the Fi subs are pretty competitive.

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154cf5551e76b9d/shopdata/0050_Speakers/0040_SSD/product_overview.shopscript

$170 for the 10" 800W RMS sub.

What do you guys think? Between the Fi sub, the Pioneer, the two ED subs, the Sundown, and the RE, what would be a better choice?