Anyone with a first generation Lumina....go to this site!

luminator94

well i for one thought it could be done, but with me being new to the caring about the car you drive and this whole DIY car repair thing.....i did not know for sure.

this is my second w-body. the first was an 89 CS coupe with the 2.8. column shifted bench front seat. that was about 6-7 years ago. at the time i liked it, but i had a family and i just wanted a car. i liked the looks of it and the price was great. so i jumped on it.

now with me wanting another for about 4 years. i finally settled down a bit and worked up to my 90 CS.

at that time i did not work on anything at all. it it broke it went to the shop.

now with all the things i want to do as well as having spendy hobbies. i am trying to do more myself.

therefore this is news to me.

give new ppl a hard time and they will lose interest and say screw you. and not appreciate all that a car has to offer.

Monty

well i for one thought it could be done, but with me being new to the caring about the car you drive and this whole DIY car repair thing.....i did not know for sure.

this is my second w-body. the first was an 89 CS coupe with the 2.8. column shifted bench front seat. that was about 6-7 years ago. at the time i liked it, but i had a family and i just wanted a car. i liked the looks of it and the price was great. so i jumped on it.

now with me wanting another for about 4 years. i finally settled down a bit and worked up to my 90 CS.

at that time i did not work on anything at all. it it broke it went to the shop.

now with all the things i want to do as well as having spendy hobbies. i am trying to do more myself.

therefore this is news to me.

give new ppl a hard time and they will lose interest and say screw you. and not appreciate all that a car has to offer.

Monty

damn well said!!!!!!!

My first car was a 94 Grand Prix SE, totalled it. Then I bought a 98 GTP, and in February of this year I bought a 94 Lumina Eurosport (winter car). So I've owned three, I guess I'm an idiot for not knowing that a 3.8L S/C engine will fit into the first generation W-bodies. I've just finally taken the interest into the whole "W" body thing, especially at how easily they are to make mods to.

as some may or may not know.....

my big interest lies in car audio.

well there are so many forums out there to talk about it at.

now there are alot of them that treat newbies like crap. and if you go often enough you realize that once they feel like they got crapped on they are gone. hopefully it did not leave a bad taste in their mouth so they bail on car audio.

then there are some forums where they are oh so willing to help ya out.

yes some questions are asked over and over. so be it

there is no need to be rude. if you can lend some help do it.

if not then do not hit that reply button

no need to be rude or leave a bad taste in someones mouth.

not everyone has the time to use the search feature or have the knowledge to get the most out of the search feature. or even know about it for that matter.

then there are those who are not computer literate where this whole web is scary to them.

so just use that thing that rests on your shoulders.

Monty

who is luminator though i might be harassing the wrong guy then cause the one guy i am thinking of has ben in the w scene as long as i have

and used to go by luminator

no matter who you were thinking of that was weak.

ive had w-bodies since 96 and just in the last few months with my "new" 94 euro have i started learing of the possibilities.

hey, bumping z34, don't worry about it. i'm completly new to this site, so i'm not the same person your thinking of. keep in mind that my user name is luminator94, not just luminator. peace.

Aaron

ok ill admit i was wrong i am sorry

by the way my name is brennan and i to am a audio guy and i do work on my own car i just recently took on a newer car a 95 monte z34

Just a warning to you guys...

I suspected Tom cut some corners and did some really funky stuff on his 3800 SC install. My suspicions were proven true when I helped walk someone through the swap.

Read Tom's site, but don't take it at face value. Do your own research first.

1. You do NOT have to touch the interior wiring, in fact, I would NOT recommend it as GM went to a cheaper gauge wiring in 94 and all GM cars from that point on got crappy cheap gauge wiring.

2. You do NOT have to swap your steering column.

3. You will need a special transmission bracket on the subframe, or else your engine will end up cockeyed.

4. You do NOT need to move your dogbone mounts 1", see #3 above.

5. You will want to put GTP inner CV joints on your existing halfshafts so you can use your existing hubs.

That just touches on some of the L67 install issues. Again, do your own research before blindly following someone else's instructions!!!

Shawn,

Have you researched, thought about designing/marketing a engine harness Firewall adaptor/connector for a 3.8 SC conversoin that would allow the engine harness off a 3.8 SC to plug right into the existing firewall connection on a 1st Gen W-body model?

Dave,

That's a great idea! However, I don't have any connections in the manufacturing industry. I also work fulltime so it wouldn't be realistic for me to sit at home building wire harnesses by hand.

Great idea though! If you can think of any companies that would be interesting in building harnesses for us, I'll be happy to supply as much information as I can.

Ok..... Since you know alot about the GM electronics on these W-Bodys... Let me ask you this.... On the 2.8/3.1/ from 88-93 Are the firewall connections all the same?.. I was thinking of using a custom made PC board to keep the size of the adaptor to a minimum. And using gold plated conncetions with exterior locking tabs

I'm not sure if they're the same, but probably similar.

I don't have schematics for a 93, but I know they used the 4T60-E in '93 so underhood wiring may be a bit different.

Since the firewall connectors are sealed weatherpak AND 97+ Grand Prix's don't have a firewall connector (just a pass thru), and also the fact that the battery mounts on the opposite side, I think the best thing would be a mostly-complete wire harness with all sensor connectors. Maybe with some terminals that can be snapped into the existing fuse boxes.