'92 5-spd tranny fluid leak. Options?

crazyd

I've got a leak coming from inside the bellhousing of my 284. I see the input shaft seal is available on RockAuto. Can I actually replace it? Can it be replaced without disassembling the trans? Or, can this be "dealt with" some other way? Or am I just SOL and need to replace the whole trans?

I've opened up a broken 284 before. I just don't know how to put one back together.

I'm well aware I need to pull the tranny. What I need to know is whether I can actually do anything about it once it's out, or if I'm just going to have to replace it anyway since there's so little that can be done to repair these transmissions. There does not appear to be a seal on the input shaft in the service manual.

• 3 weeks later...

It took me a couple weeks to get things coordinated so I could pull the motor out, but I finally got it done this past weekend. Obligatorypic:

2010-10-30+14_03_33.jpg

It turned out to be the detent cover as I'd hoped. I don't know why it popped out, but I hammered it back in and glued it so it stays put this time.

2010-10-31+18_37_09.jpg

My oil pan is pretty beat up, so I'm also taking this opportunity to replace it while the whole thing is out of the car.

My transmission mount is broken, however. Has anyone found a replacement or a suitable substitute for these?

which transmission mount?

284's only have one mount.

were you able to lift the engine and trans out as one piece?

Yes, I've done it this way several times before. It is only possible with a load-leveler as seen in the photo above, but the 284 is small enough to sneak past the ABS/MC if you angle it just right. I remove the slave cylinder and accumulator as well as the A/C manifold lines and accumulator, and it all comes out in one big lump. The unpleasant part is having to R&R the clutch just to get the throwout bearing out of the pressure plate. I broke three pairs of snapring pliers before finding a set that was strong enough to release the TOB.