Getrag 284

chevelle3504speed

Hey guys,

Anyone have a Getrag 284 for sale? The unit in my '91 GTP has a crunch in 2nd and from what I've read, I can't buy replacement parts for this thing. My only option is to find a used unit or send this unit back to Getrag.

Thanks,

Andy

Scary prospect considering my 144,000 mile Z34 has a slight sychro grind into 3rd

I'll say. Thanks for the information. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I can't believe GM would produce a transmission without producing internal parts for it. Frustrating! I have a Getrag 282 in my 3800s/c Fiero and I was able to find parts for it without a problem. Too bad the 284 isn't that way. It should be!

Thanks again,

Andy

GM never produced it, Getrag gears did. I wish I could find parts for these things. I have a useless 284 sitting around with a bad 3rd gear syncro.

Last spring I called/contacted about every automotive gear manufacturer in North America and struck out every time. Hell I even got someone at Getrag to tell me to piss off (not in those words).

of course neither of them do. They don't know what half the work is required for any engine or trans swap.

an f40 swap requires a lot of fabrication. Not to mention that trans isn't suited for or even rated for our heavier Wbodies.

Oh I'm sure it is a lot of work :lol:, I didn't say it wasn't. Just seems like if you're willing to do the work, it'd probably be a better bet for future serviceability.

Just an FYI, there are several people on the Fiero forums that have F40s handling 300+ horsepower just fine.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/100663.html

For how long have they been holding that power?

And where was that thread where no one could find a F40 that broke due to use/excessive power?

Yet again, we're looking at a fairly new transmisison that perhaps hasn't been put to the test.

The F40 was rated at a maximum engine torque of 245 lb-ft. Note this is not the same as the maximum transmission torque, so don't get the two numbers confused. However, the only reason why it was rated for this output was because 245lb-ft is the maximum engine torque of the biggest engine they bolted it to; the LZ9 3900 (technically 242lb-ft). Had the LZ9 put down 260lb-ft, the transmission would have been rated at that or 5 lb-ft higher. If we look further into the numbers, the transmission is certified for a vehicle weight of 3527. Awefully close to the 3450 curb weight of the car it came from with the 3900.

Whether or not it can withstand much higher amounts of power for a reasonable length of time is to be determined since people have only been swapping these things in for so long.

Would I use it as a transmission of choice? No. Having seen what Bob has gone through to get headers to fit in my car, I'm with the mindset that the easier it is, the better, and at this moment, Getrag 282's are somewhat available, as are high capacity clutches, without requiring a whole lot of fabrication. The key word here is the required amount of fabrication. Unless you're really good, you're better off sticking with the transmissions that have been tried and proven, and have endless amounts of knowledge and support.

Of course, you're also more than welcome to be a pioneer, do it yourself, and document every step so everyone else will come to you for answers, but whether or not you have the expertise and fabrication skills to make such a swap happen is for you to decide. I'm sure I could figure it out if I really wanted to, but I'd rather just go with something that I know for a fact works.

A member here (gpchris) has put an F40 in his first gen GP. And to quote a post from that link I posted...

"-It's holding up fine for me with a 305rwhp northstar and over a year of autocross racing and daily driving on it (daily driving might aswell be be racing)."

I don't plan on racing my car. I just want a fun, comfortable cruiser with a little bit more power.

there has been a LS7 F40 fiero running around for over a year IIRC, and it threw down ~480 lb-ft at the wheels when it was dyno'd.... no explosion yet. the only case of breakage was due to someone fucking up and the case broke at the axle.

A member here (gpchris) has put an F40 in his first gen GP. And to quote a post from that link I posted...

"-It's holding up fine for me with a 305rwhp northstar and over a year of autocross racing and daily driving on it (daily driving might aswell be be racing)."

I don't plan on racing my car. I just want a fun, comfortable cruiser with a little bit more power.

I want to know how he got 300rwhp out of a Northstar with a front wheel drive transmission. Unless you meant fwhp, at which point I'd still love to know how. Those are rated for 275-300 *crank* hp.

there has been a LS7 F40 fiero running around for over a year IIRC, and it threw down ~480 lb-ft at the wheels when it was dyno'd.... no explosion yet. the only case of breakage was due to someone fucking up and the case broke at the axle.

It also had cyrogenic tempered/hardened/treated internals.

Edited by xtremerevolution

Do either of you actually know what it takes to bolt one in? Its far from a bolt in replacement.

know what i said is if he was going to swap to a 282 he would have to modify anyways so why not go with that if he was up for the work

300Whp from a N* isn't that tough..... especially when running through a manual trans.

and i found the dyno i was looking for...

Troyb.jpg

there was another member in that thread with a LS2 F40 without cryo'd internals... also no issues.

i'd like to know what in the F40 got treated though(other than "All the internals have been cyro treated & we have an Quaif LSD" as posted on page 21)....

but as we all know, the fiero crowd dumps massive motors into their cars that we can't even attempt with 5 times the work, yet there are no reported failures...

well, here's the last couple of links i'll add to this thread(i think):

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/100241.html

I know when I talked to Archie when I was up at his shop he has done several of them in cars for the last 2 years and none have failed with a HP range from 100 - 600

in Clay's car he has a 383 small block with about 500 HP and he is not shy about using it. he has another F40 as a back up so he is trying to kill his first one to find the weak point to build the other one stronger if needed. so far he has not been able to kill it. his car is going to be used for the flying mile in TX. so he wants all the bugs worked out before hand.

Troyboy has an LS7 in his car, MotorTV has an LT1 Turbo in his

and as for mine it will be a while before it is done but I will have an LS3 Turbo in mine with around 700 HP.

GM as always way under rated these things. I was a little worried about the power I was going to put to it at first, then I drove Clay's car as well as rode with him biggrin.gif

his motor makes loads of TQ at the bottom where mine will come on higher in the RPM. takeoff is where you will tear stuff up (if you can hookup!) LOL.

I looked at all the info here as well as other sites and talked to those that have them installed before I made my mind up to get one.

also at $300 bucks I could buy several as spairs if I needed. the F40 is not the costly part it is all the other stuff you will need to install it.

and from a link in the thread, it seems that to kill an uncryo'd F40: you need a 04GP that makes 581WHP through a 4T65EHD while slipping and then throw the unmodded F40 behind it "running 18psi on a T66, headwork, cam, 3" straight exhaust, triple disc clutch"

apparently when you drop the clutch in 4th with over 600lb-ft, it will kill 2nd gear....:think:

suffice to say, i don't think this will be a problem for over 99% of w-body enthusiasts.:lol:

kuntzie, maybe, but i can't think of anyone else running close to that.

I think changing to the 282 would be much more economical. I certainly wouldn't mind having the F40, but I think that will be pricey! Does the 3.4 flywheel work with the 282 does anyone know?

that, and fab time... though i guess once you have it done correctly once, you could replicate the fabbed parts(mostly mounts IIRC) to make future(or cutomer's) installations go by much quicker.