Disco Potato Install Help Needed!

Penglii

The good news:

My GT2860RS arrived in the mail today!!

The bad news:

The first thing I notice, that I cannot believe i did not think about before... is that the Disco Potato has nowhere for the stock o2 sensor to go!

So I urgently need some advice on how to solve that... where can it be relocated to, and how do I go about making that happen?

That makes sense...

I suddenly get the feeling that finding a good place for the bung, and getting it installed is going to be a significantly bigger pain in the ass than getting the rest of the turbo installed will be...

truth.... if the exhaust half and center housing were good, you could just pull the compressor housing and compressor wheel and swap them(or just swap the center housing along with the compressor half, assuming the ehxaust half is good)... which BTW, i'm sure it's industry standard: that nut holding the compressor in place is a left-handed thread.... i learned the hard way.:confused:

*thinking*

Would it work to take the turbine housing (with integrated o2 bung) off of the T25 and swap it into the GT28RS? Or would the turbine not fit?

Edit... Robert you genius, you answered my question AS I WAS ASKING IT!!

assuming the same shaft size, it should work perfectly. this is all assuming your problem is all in the compressor and/or center housing.

the bolt pattern and sizes are standardized IIRC, but i would measure before pulling stuff apart.

Hmmm... I don't think swapping the turbine housings will work... the GT28RS turbine housing attaches to the center housing using 6 bolts... where the T25 uses only 4.

Unless those bolts just allow the metal plate to squish the two housing parts together somehow...

EDIT: OK... found some pics of a T25 taken apart and it appears that is exactly how the two housings connect... so that part of the swap should be OK.

Anybody know what size the turbine wheel is on a stock T25?

Edited by Penglii

i am trying to imagine what you are describing as to having 6 bolts... i think i've only ever seen 4, like in that pic.

Here is a pic... you can only see 4 of the 6 bolts, obviously the other 2 are on the other side.

post-4571-143689049194_thumb.jpg

you cant swap rear housing, dont even bother trying,

put the o2 sensor into the downpipe somewhere

Damn... what about it won't swap?

Well then I suppose that means I gotta find someone who will weld a bung in there for me without taking my car out of comission for very long...

you can drive without the 02 sensor to get a bung weled in, there wont be an issue with that just dont go WOT,

the compressor housing have to be to the exact size of the exhaust wheel, and i can gaurentee its not even close to the same size, they are much bigger

you can drive without the 02 sensor to get a bung weled in, there wont be an issue with that just dont go WOT

Right on, I've just never had to go get anything welded... so I don't know where to go. Mechanic? Steel Fabricator?

Can a bung be welded into the downpipe without removing it from the car?

the compressor housing have to be to the exact size of the exhaust wheel, and i can gaurentee its not even close to the same size, they are much bigger

That is a fair answer! I am glad to know that before taking my T25 out and finding out firsthand by just looking at them, so thanks for that!

swap the turbine wheel along with the housing... problem solved?

Yes, but I'm not sure I want to go so far as to swap the entire wheel just yet... it might work, but that is greatly increasing the "screw this job up horribly" chances.

why in the fuck would you want to swap the rear wheel

1. its smaller

2 its going to fall flat on its face with the rest of the turbo at like 3500 rpm

3 the turbo will have to be rebalanced, costing you a couple hundred bucks

4. its literally defeating the purpose of a turbo upgrade.

any muffler shop will take 5 minutes to weld the 02 sensor, it can be kept in the car... the very little amount of metal shavings wont efect anything

or since the turbo is off, drill the hole now, an stuff a rag in there when ur drilling, you can just then place something in the hole till u get it welded in place.

done and done

why in the fuck would you want to swap the rear wheel

1. its smaller

2 its going to fall flat on its face with the rest of the turbo at like 3500 rpm

3 the turbo will have to be rebalanced, costing you a couple hundred bucks

4. its literally defeating the purpose of a turbo upgrade.

LOL like I said, greatly increases the chances of horribly screwing up the job. :lol:

I think I will go ask about getting a bung welded on during my lunch break tomorrow.

The turbo is not off the car yet. I am working on getting all my ducks in a row before I start the wrench twisting. Also I don't currently own a drill of any kind for some reason. LOL

I asked around and the cheapest anyone is willing to create an o2 bung for in the downpipe a price of an hour's worth of labor.

Seems excessive, but I guess considering that there are apparently no shops in the area that specialize in mufflers... and considering that none of the shops had ever seen or heard of a Turbo Grand Prix before...

On vacation all next week... so unless I can find someone to do it faster/cheaper I'll be making an appointment for them to do it in like a week and a half.