Current top replacement costs?

Ryan from Ohio

Hi Guys,

Looking at a 95 vert locally. The top "could use replacement" so Im assuming it needs replaced.

Does anyone have any current ballpark estimates on labor charge involved?

And what is the best top to get?

If I buy this I intend on keeping it for about 5 years or so. I want something good though- nothing thats gonna fall apart in 2 years!

Thanks!

It varies a lot. I think some of the price difference depends whether they are replacing just the top, the top and curtain (back window part), or both of those along with other things. (Top pads, cables, headliner).

But I have seen prices as low as $800 installed. More typically around $1000 - $1250. And one fool in Chicago that paid $2000.

All of those prices include the top itself.

Be sure to look at the post that is pinned to the top of this forum that has info on different top options, the quality, and the cost.

I called a place in Toledo- I got a price of $490 installed for just the top. The window portion seems very high- $430

So right around $1K for all of it.

Can you get away with just tops? I take it they are two individual pieces?

Yes you can just replace the top. If your rear window piece is in good condition there is no need to replace it.

And you could look at the junkyard for a rear window curtain, if you get lucky and find a decent one.

I'd strongly recommend if you can afford it, replace the back curtain with the rest of the top. I've been around convertibles for nearly 10 years now, back in my LeBaron days, I couldn't begin to count all the people that replaced only the top, only to have to tear a bunch of stuff back out a couple of years later and replace the rear curtain, because the glass fell out.

Just my 2 cents...

Well I just got back from looking at the near by vert.

The top and rear window are 100% trashed big time.

Body was fairly solid with minor surface rust/paint bubble on passenger rear behind wheel. A couple dents- noticeable one on drivers door. Rust thru on the hood lip up front. The trunk was SOLID though :)

Car ran real rough and died half dozen times.

Interior in so so shape for a 1991... Has its issues.

Im not sure on it.

$900 for the car- needs a full top. $490 for the top, $430 for the rear window. It needs the headliner and the stuffing between the two. It needs cable and pads as well. It may even need a motor as you had to "help" it up and down.

Probably needs $1,500 in the top.

Im gonna skip this one. I have a few others I can snag though that look better.